Chapter 10: Undying Cruelty

"Seven nights."

"Just seven nights more."

(Y/n) repeated in her head as she ran alongside Tanjiro, who decided it was best to find a safe spot to stay for the night.

"Come here. We need to talk." Tanjiro pulled (Y/n) behind a large rock and kneeled beside her. 
"After sunrise tomorrow, the demons won't show up. That will help us get some rest. We need to head towards the east because that's where the sun's first rays reach first."
"Good idea."

And now, here the duo was sprinting towards the east, hoping the demons wouldn't find them first. Suddenly, they both stopped.
"I think there's a demon nearby. I can smell one," Tanjiro told (Y/n), his hand on his sword's handle.
"I sensed one too."

Tanjiro and (Y/n) looked around, trying to locate the demon.
"I can't tell where the scent is coming from."

"TANJIRO! LOOK UP!" the younger girl shouted.

Both the teenagers jumped away just as a demon crashed into the ground. Its monster-like features, horns, and spikes coming out of his hands made him look all the more terrifying. The ground has developed cracks where the demon had landed. However, the younger girl was unfazed, as she had already expected this.

Just then, another demon tried to attack the duo from behind, although it failed as the teenagers had already detected him.
"Another one?" Tanjiro thought, backing away from the second demon.

"FINALLY SOME GOOD FOOD! How many years has it been since I ate a young girl?? That doesn't matter, as both these kids are mine now!" the new demon said, talking to the first demon.
"BASTARD! First come, first serve!" sneered the spiked demon.

The duo looked at the demons in surprise as they continued fighting.
"Tanjiro! You take the first one, and I'll take the second one!"

"Got it!"

🌺

"Oh crap, crap, crap, CRAP. HOW DID I MANAGE TO GET SEPARATED FROM TANJIRO!?!?"

The duo had gotten separated while fighting the two demons. While (Y/n) was fighting the second demon, it had lured her deeper into the forest, while Tanjiro had been fighting the first one. She managed to kill the demon, but she didn't feel excited at all knowing she had killed her first demon. Instead, she only felt worried for her partner.

"I can't believe I messed up on the first day... It's still 3 hours till sunrise," thought (Y/n), concerned.

Just then, another demon jumped out of a tree behind her.
"Wow. Are the demon slayers already here? I'm going to have a feast today!" The demon laughed. The demon had purple skin and long blue hair with dark green eyes, which made him look ridiculous.

The demon jumped at the girl.
"First form, Breath of Twilight: Shooting stars."

The demon was beheaded before it even realized what happened.

"Wha- did I just get decapitated?? WHAT THE HELL??? HOW DID A LITTLE GIRL LIKE YOU BEHEAD M-"
The demon was unable to finish his sentence before it vanished.

The teen shook her head. Like always, she couldn't understand how cruel demons could be.

"Most demons here are not hard to kill at all. As long as I don't get attacked suddenly, I should be fine... We function better together, so I hope Tanjiro can manage on his own until we find each other." The teenage girl tried to use her ability to sense auras to find Tanjiro, but couldn't sense anybody within her detecting range.

🌺

Day 5...
Tanjiro had tried to find (Y/n) by his sense of smell uncountable times since they'd gotten separated. 
"I can't believe I got separated from (Y/n)-chan. Is she okay? I need to find her as soon as possible!"

Suddenly, Tanjiro smelled a horrible smell coming his way.
"Where is this stench coming from?" He pinched his nose. 

Just then, Tanjiro heard a man screaming and running.
"Nobody told me that something like this will happen! SOMEBODY, HELP!" the man cried.

Tanjiro turned to look from behind the tree from where he was hiding what the man was running from.

Tanjiro gasped in fear when he saw the creature running toward the terrified man.

🌺