Chapter 12: Avenged

(Y/n)'s POV...
"Tanjiro!" I screamed from behind the bushes, rushing towards Tanjiro. His mask lay broken on the ground.
I realized he had been knocked unconscious with just a punch by this huge demon.

"My, my. Did Urokodaki send another girl to the Final Selection? What a pity," the demon said from behind me as I noticed the man whom Tanjiro was protecting running away from the scene. What a coward.

"What are you talking about? How do you know Urokodaki-san?" I glared at the demon, unsheathing my sword just a few inches.

"You see, little girl, I have a particular thirst for revenge from your trainer. As a result of him caging me in this disgusting place, I'm going to devour each kid he sent to play this little game. You both will be the fourteenth and fifteenth souvenir he sent." The demon laughed.

"No chance!" I was furious having enough of his filthy talk, I took my sword out from the shield and lunged at him.

"Breath of Twilight, Fourth Form: Glowing Dusk!" I chose my harshest breathing technique.

What I didn't expect was the uncountable number of hands directly aimed at me. I barely managed to cut all of them off but was unable to reach his neck.

"Oh my. You're pretty skilled, aren't you? Probably even more than that little brat," he laughed. "It is going to be so much fun devouring your mutilated bodies." I ignored him.

Despite the rage I was in, I somehow tried to calm myself. This demon was the most powerful one I had faced yet. "Breath of Twilight, Eighth Form: Falling Asteroids." I successfully slashed all of the hands that came towards me.

However, a hand that was in my blind spot was coming towards me. It was too near me to slash it now.

Gunshots.
Did I hear gunshots?

The hand that was about to hit me in my stomach was instantly severed, not by a sword, but by a bullet. I turned around to see a boy with large, inwardly slanting eyes and a buzzcut with a scar across his cheek, almost like Sabito's. He was holding a gun in one hand and a sword in the other.

"What are you looking at? Be more careful during fights or you would've died," he snapped. I clicked back to reality to see the hand demon glaring at us.
"Uhm, thanks for helping." I turned my attention back to the problem at hand, with the weird-haired boy beside me.

"How troublesome. Here comes another pest." The demon chuckled. "However, there's no problem. The peach-haired boy couldn't even get his blade past my neck."
"Peach-haired boy...? Does he mean Sabito!?!" I wondered.

Just then, several hands erupted from the ground. I jumped.

"Breath of Twilight, Second Form: Embedded Sky!" I slashed the hands below me, only to look up to find a hand coming at my head.

However, someone HEADBUTTED the hand first.

"Tanjiro!" I landed on the ground, somewhat safe.

Tanjiro started running towards the demon's head on his arm, stretching out his hand. Several other hands rushed towards Tanjiro.

"Breath of Twilight, Fourth Form: Glowing Dusk!" I cut all the hands that were aimed at Tanjiro, providing defense for him while he aimed for the demon's neck.

He jumped near the demon's neck, aiming to cut it from above. "Breath of Water, First Form: Water Surface Slash!"

He succeeded in cutting his head.

🎗

"(Y/n)-chan! Are you okay?" The boy rushed towards the younger girl, looking for any injuries.
"I'm alright... a boy with a gun saved-" The girl cut off her sentence as she looked for the other boy. "Where did he go? You saw him, right?"
"A gun? What are you talking about? I didn't see anybody."
"Oh... that's strange."

"It doesn't matter now. What matters is if you're okay." The boy touched the girl's slightly bruised face. "You're hurt."
"Seriously, Tanjiro? Look at your head! You're way more hurt than me!" (Y/n) scolded.

However, those words didn't register in Tanjiro's mind as (Y/n) brushed his hair away from his injury and wiped the blood away, making his mind go overdrive as his obsessiveness took over again.

🌺

It took me a while to write this chapter. It was one of my favorites to write so far!
Thank you to all the readers for giving my book a chance. Hope you all liked this chapter too. It makes me really happy to know that people are enjoying reading my book! Take care! <3