Chapter 5: A New Breathing Style

(Y/n) had been having difficulty trying to master the Water Breathing techniques, even though she'd been trying for 4 months now. She'd noticed Tanjiro could use the breathing forms much better than her, and was training even harder now, despite Urokodaki not allowing (Y/n) to do so since it harmed her health.

"(Y/n)! I've told you so many times not to over-train. You're training at night again without my permission."
(Y/n) winced at the fact that she got caught again.

"Ah... Did I get caught again? I'm sorry."
"What were you training for at this time of the night?" questioned Urokodaki.

"I was trying to master the first Water Breathing technique, but I'm unable to do it," (Y/n) sighed. "Tanjiro has already mastered three of them..."

"It seems like Water Breathing doesn't suit you. I guess you're like your mother, then."
"Huh? What do you mean? My mother?"
"I used to know your mother. She'd tried to master Water Breathing too, but failed. She created an offshoot of her own."

"Wait a second... Mama? Water breathing? Do you mean... she was a demon slayer too!?!?" the younger girl exclaimed. "How come you never told me??"
"You never asked."
"I know but... how would I know!?!"

Urokodaki ignored the surprised girl.
"Your mother used Forest Breathing which had 7 forms, and was an offshoot of Water Breathing. We trained from the same trainer, but not together," he continued, "She would've easily become a Hashira if she hadn't left the corps. And now, you get to follow in her footsteps."
Urokodaki looked at (Y/n) with a soft gaze.
"I want you to use Water Breathing as a base for your own breathing form."

"But... how am I supposed to create my own breathing form?"
"You'll figure it out. Just alter Water Breathing according to your body."

The girl looked at the older man with a confused gaze, trying to take the new information in.

"Work on your breathing tomorrow. Come in and sleep for now. It's almost midnight."
"A-alright..."

🌺

A couple of months later...
(Y/n) was successful in creating a breathing style of her own, called Twilight Breathing. She and Tanjiro had been training in the mountains, but they put more time into training with their breathing styles now.

"Alright, I got thi-" (Y/n) tried to say before getting lifted upside down from a tree by a rope that got tied around her ankle. "AHH! TANJIRO-KUN HELP ME-"
"(Y/n)-chan! I'm coming-" Just then, a flying knife that came out of nowhere nearly impaled Tanjiro.

🌺

It had taken the duo much longer to complete the mountain course today, as the traps had become ten times as hard compared to how they originally were.
"The traps have become much harder..." Tanjiro observed.
"I know. It's hard to detect most of the new ones. But let's do our best, Tanjiro-kun!"

Tanjiro blushed at (Y/n)'s enthusiasm and cheerfulness which she seemed to always have despite the situation.
"Yep! Let's do our best!"

🌺

"Breath of Water, Third Form: Flowing Dance!"
"Breath of Twilight, First Form: Shooting Stars!"

Tanjiro and (Y/n) were practicing against each other as usual, as they knew they still had a long way to go till they mastered all their breathing techniques. It had pretty much been the same, both of them training together ever since Tanjiro had been accepted as Urokodaki's student.

Little did they know, two mysterious people were watching from behind the trees...

🌺

I'll try to upload a chapter tomorrow explaining (Y/n)'s breathing style. Thanks for reading! ❤