Chapter 8: Untiring Perseverance

"It feels like my arms and legs have been crushed... and like my lungs are about to explode soon..." thought (Y/n) as she kneeled alongside Tanjiro on the ground. "Training with the breathing technique hits harder..."

Even if it had taken almost a year, the girl felt she had finally mastered her breathing style. She tried to constantly use her breathing style while training but was always unable to keep it up. While her breathing style required more focus and agility, Tanjiro's breathing style took more strength and adaptability.

🌺

It had been 6 months since Makomo had been helping the duo with their training. That day, Tanjiro and (Y/n) finally felt confident enough to beat Sabito together, so they challenged him.

"It has been 6 months. You're finally sporting the face of a real man, Tanjiro," Sabito said as he took out his sword, and the duo got into their fighting stances.
"We will beat you today," Tanjiro said as (Y/n) smiled at his confidence.

"Three... two... one... Start!" said Makomo.

It was decided in the blink of an eye. That day, in that very instant, both of the duo's blades touched Sabito first as they attacked him in unison. The attack split the older boy's mask, revealing a scar on his cheek and grayish-lavender eyes.

"Well done, both of you. Don't forget your performance just now," Sabito smiled.
"Be sure to win, guys. Beat him for us," Makomo said before she vanished.

As they turned around, they saw Sabito vanish too. The duo gasped.
"Did we... SPLIT THE ROCK!?!? WHAT JUST HAPPENED??" the girl exclaimed.
"We did it! (Y/n)-chan, we did it!!!" Tanjiro yelled as he hugged his training partner.
(Y/n) hummed in response. "Yep, we did." She smiled.

Just then, they heard footsteps behind them. It was Urokodaki.
"Urokodaki-san!" the older student said.

"I didn't plan to allow you both to take part in the Final Selection," he said in a low tone.
"Huh?"
"Because I don't want to see more children getting killed doing it. I didn't believe that you children could cut the rock."

He patted the teenagers' heads.
"You've worked hard. You're both amazing kids," he said as both (Y/n) and Tanjiro teared up.

"Promise me you guys will survive the Final Selection," Urokodaki hugged the duo.
"Yes, we do."
"We will!" the students promised.

"Good. Me and Nezuko will be waiting for you both."

🌺

Later, at the hut...
"Wow! The food looks delicious. What's the occasion, Urokodaki-san?" asked Tanjiro as he and the girl sat in front of the fire.

"I'm doing it to celebrate both your graduation. Don't mention it, just eat."

"Really? Thanks for the food!"

🎇

That night, Tanjiro was cutting his hair and (Y/n) was reading a book to unwind.

"Tanjiro. (Y/n)." Urokodaki spoke up.
"Yes?" the girl replied.
"Did you like my hot pot?"
"Yes! It was the most delicious thing I've had in a while!" the older boy exclaimed.

"For kids like you, a good meal will earn you some energy and a few inches in height. But, the same goes for demons."
"Demons?"
"Yes. Keep this in mind: basically, a demon's strength is based on how many people they devour."

"So, the more people they eat, the stronger the demons become?" questioned Tanjiro.
"That's right," Urokodaki answered as he got up from the floor, "As it gains strength, a demon experiences bodily changes and may even gain magical powers."

Urokodaki took out two masks from a drawer.
"Tanjiro, if your sense of smell is keen enough, you can even smell how many people a demon has eaten, and (Y/n), if your sense of auras is sharpened to a point, you may be able to sense the same too." he handed the duo the masks.

"What is this?"
"It's called a talisman mask. This is to keep you children away from calamity since I've cast it with a spell," the trainer replied.

Tanjiro's mask had a sun peeking out from the side where he had his scar with red eyes, while (Y/n)'s mask had (H/c)-colored ears, (E/c) eyes, and stars at the sides of the mask.
"Wow, this is so cool!" (Y/n) gushed.

"There are also demons that have the highest concentration of Muzan's blood," Urokodaki continued, "which are called the Twelve Demon Moons. They have engravings in their eyes stating their ranks."
"The Twelve Demon Moons?"

"They are the twelve most powerful demons in existence who are under the direct command of the Demon King, Muzan Kibutsuji. (Y/n), Tanjiro, whenever you see one of them, I want you to not fight them and instead find help from stronger demon slayers. Got it?" Urokodaki instructed.

"Okay, Urokodaki-san."
"Ah, okay. Got it," (Y/n) replied absentmindedly, as she was still looking at her mask in awe.

🌺