Chapter 9: The Final Selection

It was a sunny morning, and the teenagers were getting ready as they were going to leave for the Final Selection that day. (Y/n) was a bit nervous, as she hadn't been out of the mountain in two and a half years, let alone to kill demons.

"(Y/n). Come here. I have something to give you." Urokodaki had told the younger student as Tanjiro put on his brand new cloud-patterned haori, the same as their trainer's.
"What is it, Urokodaki-san?"

"I want to give you this haori. I put a spell on it to keep you safe," he said, handing her a haori studded with stars & windchimes, and blue chrysanthemum flower patterns at the end.

 I put a spell on it to keep you safe," he said, handing her a haori studded with stars & windchimes, and blue chrysanthemum flower patterns at the end

"What? Urokodaki-san, this looks so expensive! I can't take this."
"I want you to. It'll act as a good luck charm for you during the Final Selection," insisted the older man.
"But I-"
"I'm not taking no for an answer."

(Y/n) smiled. "Alright. It does look pretty. Thank you!"
"No need for that. Where's Tanjiro?"
"Ah, I'll look for him," she said as she put on her new haori.

"Tanjiro-kun?"

The girl found the older boy in the dark room beside his sister.
"Nezuko. I promise I'll come back to you." The boy was holding his sister's hand looking at her in worry, unaware of the girl standing by the door.

"Tanjiro-kun..." she repeated.
Tanjiro's attention finally shifted to the girl as he let go of his sister's hand. He got up.

"Ah, (Y/n)-chan. Sorry. I didn't notice you."
"Tanjiro-kun. I promise I'll try to find a way to get your sister back to her human form. Let's try our best during the Final Selection, 'kay?"
Tanjiro grinned. "Yes. Let's try our best."

Just then, he noticed the younger girl's new haori.
"Are you wearing a new haori? Did Urokodaki-san give it to you? It's so..." he trailed off, trying to find words for how (Y/n) looked. He felt his face heat up.
"Urokodaki-san did give it to me. It's beautiful, isn't it? He said it's for good luck!" she gushed.

"Y-yeah... You look great."

🎇

"Tanjiro. It's time to leave."
Tanjiro was taking a last look at the hut as if it was his last time there before he left. He felt slightly sad, which he felt was weird because he would be returning soon...

Right?

Tanjiro shook his head and brushed away his negative thoughts.
"I'm coming!" he shouted.

"I want you to not worry about your sister, Tanjiro. I can take care of her while you're at the Final Selection," Urokodaki reassured the boy once the duo was out of the hut, ready to leave, "And (Y/n). I want you to take care of yourself. You tend to lose track of your well-being and push yourself beyond the limit often. Okay?"
"I will."

"I want you both to come back together, alright?"
"Yep."
"Got it."

"Also, Urokodaki-san, tell Makomo and Sabito thanks from our side if they visit you again!" Tanjiro yelled while walking away, (Y/n) following him.
"Yeah! They helped us a lot!" the younger girl added.

"How did... how did you both know the name of those dead children?"

🌺

It had already become night by the time Tanjiro and (Y/n) reached Fujikasane mountain, the place where the Final Selection would be conducted.
"Tanjiro-kun... these flowers are so pretty, aren't they?" the younger girl said, surrounded by the purple hanging flowers from all sides.

Wisteria flowers were blooming everywhere, making the scenery breathtaking. The duo admired the flowers around them.
"(Y/n)-chan looks so pretty surrounded by these flowers..." he admired.

"There are a lot of people here, aren't there? I didn't expect so many people would be willing to become demon slayers."
"Yeah. They look skilled too. I hope we can survive this..."
"Didn't we train for about 2 years for this one thing? I'm sure we'll be able to do it!"

Just then, both (Y/n) and Tanjiro heard a voice come from behind them. They turned around to find two twins with chin-length hair in purple outfits. They both looked the same, except one was white-haired and the other black-haired. The twins both wore wisteria hairpins and held a lamp in their hands.

"Good evening. Tonight, you all have come to enter the Demon Slayer Corps' Final Selection. Thank you all for being here." They said in unison.

"Here on Mount Fujikasane, there are several demons that have been captured by Demon Slayer swordsmen. They're kept here for this event," said the white-haired twin.
"The wisteria blossoms prevent them from escaping. They bloom on this mountain year-round, covering everything from the base to halfway to the top," the black-haired twin continued.

"But the wisteria ends here. Demons can run free from this point on. And they're very hungry," the white-haired twin resumed.
"In order to complete the Final Selection, you must survive for seven days beyond the wisteria's protection," said the black-haired twin.

"Good luck, everyone. Your trial begins now." The twins said together.

(Y/n) gulped as she approached the forest. She turned to Tanjiro.
"Let's go."
"Yes."

🌺