Chapter 25: The Natagumo Mountain

"You're all recovered." The doctor sat in front of the group along with the old lady. Tanjiro sighed in relief.
"So, we can return to completing our missions?" he asked.
"Yes."

"Kaw! Kaw!" Matsuemon flew into the room. Yoshi was alongside him, as usual. "Northeast! Your next stop is northeast! You four have to go to the Natagumo mountain."
"Hashibira-san, why does Dongurimaru never send you messages?" Yoshi asked Inosuke out of curiosity.
"What's a Fukumavi? Is it edible?" Inosuke asked.
"...No. It's your crow."

"I tried eating him a few times and he never returned. Too bad I never got the chance to digest him because he always managed to fly away before I put him in my mouth," Inosuke grumbled.
"We should probably go now. Um, bye." Yoshi hurriedly flew away without saying anything. Matsuemon hit Inosuke with his beak and flew away too.
"WHAT WAS THAT FOR???"

It had taken the Tanjiro some time to collect the rest of the humans he was supposed to bring to the mission outside the house.
"Thank you for your accommodation," Tanjiro bowed to the lady.
"You're welcome. Here is a flint for good luck," the lady rubbed a rock against the flint, creating some sparks. This triggered Inosuke.

"What the hell, old woman?" he ran towards her, but Zenitsu held him back.
"You idiot, shut up! It's a stone used to light up sparks and chase evil spirits because we're going on a dangerous job!" he shouted at him.

"You should be proud of yourselves and strive to always survive. Good luck in your fight," she told the group once Inosuke had settled down.

"'Proud of ourselves'? 'Good luck in your fight'? What does that mean?" Inosuke asked the rest as they were walking towards their next destination.
"What a blockhead," Zenitsu thought.
"He has a point," Tanjiro said. "It sounded quite cryptic to me. To be proud of ourselves... is to fully comprehend our own position, to be able to bear it with a clear conscience, and to do the right thing. Besides, she wished us a safe journey."

"Huh?" Inosuke didn't understand a word. "What kind of position is that? What does clear conscience mean?"
"Well..."
"What is doing the right thing? Why did the old woman have to wish us a safe journey? She's not even my relative, so why did she do that? She didn't comprehend her position, did she?" Inosuke bombarded others with questions, leaving everyone even more confused with no answers.

🎇

The sun had already set by the time the group had reached near the mountain.
"Can you wait a second for me?" Zenitsu said with a serious face.
"What is it?" (Y/n) asked.

"We're getting closer to the mountain and it's freaking me out!" He sat on the ground, hugging his knees.
"Why is he sitting? It's disgusting," said Inosuke.
"You have no right to rebuke me, YOU PIG HEAD!" Zenitsu snapped. "Can't you guys feel anything coming out of that mountain up ahead?"

"It does feel weird being here, now that I think of it," (Y/n) answered. "The auras seem a bit... warped."
"SEE??? I DON'T WANNA GO THERE NOW!" She had accidentally made Zenitsu paranoid for his life.
"But still, you can't just sit there," Tanjiro looked at him worriedly.

Inosuke cackled and ran towards the mountain. (Y/n) ran after him. "Inosuke, wait!"
Tanjiro debated whether he should run after her or stay with Zenitsu, but realized they both would do something stupid if he weren't there so he ran after them.

"Don't leave me alone, damn it!" Zenitsu shouted but to no avail. Tanjiro was already gone. Zenitsu ran after them.

Inosuke approached a male, lying on the ground, injured. He was wearing a Demon Slayer Corps uniform. (Y/n) spotted him too.
"Help... me," the man cried.