Chapter 15: The First Mission

"Tanjiro-kun, I'm ready!" the girl said as she stepped out of her room, "How do I look?"

She was wearing her new uniform which was delivered shortly after the sword delivery. As expected, it was a normal shirt and a short skirt. (Y/n) was a bit uncomfortable with the length of the skirt, but didn't say anything as she didn't want to cause more trouble.
"I guess I'll get used to it," she hoped, looking at her uniform.

"Wow, (Y/n)..." the boy said in awe, breathless. It was his first time seeing (Y/n) in a skirt. "You look great!"
"Thanks!" the girl replied appreciatively.

"Uhm, anyways," Tanjiro tried to change the topic so the younger student wouldn't notice him blushing, "Urokodaki-san gave me this box for Nezuko! This wood is really light compared to other materials."
"Gimme the box." (Y/n) wrung the box off Tanjiro's shoulder. "I want to keep Nezuko with me."
"No fair!"

🎇

"We'll get going, then." Tanjiro and (Y/n) were outside the hut, ready to get going for their first mission after more than 2 years of training.
"Wait a second." Urokodaki fixed the collars of the duo's shirts. "Alright." He patted their shoulders.

"Alright, bye Urokodaki-san! We'll see you soon!!" the girl shouted once she was some distance away from the hut and Tanjiro waved goodbye.

🌺

"Nezuko-chan, are you okay?" (Y/n) asked with Nezuko's box slung over her shoulder. "Nezuko?"
"She's probably sleeping." Tanjiro shrugged.
"I guess... Urokodaki-san did say she was using sleep as a source of her energy."

The duo had finally reached the town where they had their first mission. The town was a bit crowded and had a large river. It had mountains on the sides of the northwestern town.

As the duo were walking in the town looking for any signs of a demonic presence, their attention was drawn to several women whispering to each other.
"Look at Kazumi-san," a woman pointed to a dishevelled-looking person with bruises on his face. 
"How pitiful. He looks emaciated," another woman said.
"That's because Satoko was abducted when they were together," said the third woman.

"Abducted? And Satoko is a woman's name. That probably means Satoko was the victim of the demon attack." (Y/n) looked at Tanjiro who was observing the bruised dark-brown-haired person.

"How annoying," another group was having a conversation.
"A young girl will be abducted during nighttime," a man said. The girl was able to detect a blanket of uneasiness all over the town.
"That sums it up..." (Y/n) thought, "The so-called 'abductions' are definitely demon attacks."

"Kazumi-san!" Tanjiro ran toward Kazumi as the girl followed him. A bruised face looked back at the duo.
"I have something to ask you. May I?"

 🌺

"Satoko vanished here. You have to believe me!" Kazumi said.
"We believe you. Don't worry!" Tanjiro convinced the man as he sniffed for any signs of a demon on the ground.
Meanwhile, the girl closed her eyes and tried to focus and find any demonic aura.

"The town is pretty crowded, so I can't sense any demons nearby. However, I can feel the faint lingering presence of a demon," (Y/n) told Tanjiro, "I'm just not sure where it is..."
"Although the smell of a demon remains here, it's vague." 

Tanjiro looked at the girl. "Something is wrong here."

🎇

Twilight had already fallen and the lingering scent of the demon only became stronger. The duo had been constantly searching for the demon's location for the last hour but had stumbled upon nothing.

"Please believe me. Satoko vanished into thin air," the man tried to convince them for the fifth time. 
Tanjiro nodded at him. "I believe you. I've only come because of that."

"I need to pay extra attention to (Y/n)-chan. If that girl Satoko vanished in the blink of an eye, I don't want the same happening to her," he thought. 

🎗

Tanjiro's POV...
"You're going to continue doing this?" Kazumi asked.
"Yes." (Y/n) replied.

"It's already night. I'm very happy that you both are concerned for me, but you can continue tomorrow. You both should rest first."
"You can go home if you're tired. I hope we're not troubling you." The girl smiled at the man. "However, those guys only come out at night so we can't rest now."
"T-that's not what I mean-"

"I discovered a new scent around here," Tanjiro interrupted. "They must be nearby."
"Those guys? Could these people be one of those demon slayers?" Kazumi wondered.

Suddenly, (Y/n) gasped. "Tanjiro, I sense a demon there."

🌺

(Y/n)'s midnight thoughts: If Tanjiro can smell blood, does that mean he can smell it when I'm on my period? 
Also her next morning:

(Y/n)'s midnight thoughts: If Tanjiro can smell blood, does that mean he can smell it when I'm on my period? Also her next morning: