CHAPTER 4

MIA

Dani has been gone for about a month now for some business trip. I find it weird as Hannah and Damien are still here. Josh on the other hand has also left and neither both of them haven't replied to my messages. Hannah says that where they are, they haven't got any signal. It's quite sad because, in the weeks leading up to her leaving, we were having a lot of fun just hanging out together. It's my birthday in a couple of days and we are all supposed to be going for a meal, I was hoping for Dani to be back on time. During her time away, Agnes and I have gotten along. It's weird since I thought she would be a bitch but she's actually quite an interesting woman. 

I don't have a lot of friends, scratch that I only have one. Quinn. We are so close but since she's been with Damien, I haven't seen her as often. It's not a bad thing because I can tell they are trying to involve me more but I don't want to interrupt there time together. 

I'm currently working late again, it's become a routine. Quinn has been staying at Damien's a lot but they always pick me up to make sure I get home safely. Looking at my watch, I realise that it's nearly time to go so I pack up and walk downstairs. Something isn't right though, I can't see Quinn nor Damien's car anywhere.  Usually they park out in the front of my company, but instead there's one black SUV. The door opens and I was watch as Dani walks out with a small smile in her all black suit. She has her hair slightly curled and some flowers. I walk up to her and hug her tightly, feeling calm in her presence. 

"Why didn't you text me back?"

She frowns, "It's busy down in hell. I'm sorry."

"You and your metaphors," I say while laughing. 

She smiles and opens the car door, she hands me the flowers and lets me in. We sit in silence during the drive to her place. Once we get there and walk in, there's unusual silence. There's always some kind of noise or someone walking around but this is the first time that it feels empty. 

Looking at the sofa, I can see a fort has been made from pillows and a duvet. Taking my shoes off, I crawl into the fort and my heart melts from the cuteness of it all. There is a monitor set up with two controllers and her console. Pillows all around and a blanket. There's a cute pyjama set, in a khaki green set out for me. 

Seconds later, my stomach grumbles from the smell of food. Dani crawls in with a bag of what I assume is burgers and fries. She sits beside me and takes her shirt off and trousers, throwing it to the side then putting on some shorts and placing the blanket on her. I get changed into those Pjs and smile to myself at all of this.

Breaking the silence, I hold her hand. "Why have you done all of this?"

She shrugs, "I've been gone of month. I've missed my friends. Especially you. Now I want you to catch me up on what's been going on. And then we can play a months worth of games. Realistically we wouldn't get it all done tonight but we can create a list."

I hug her tightly, "Thank you."

"Don't worry about it."

-----

As we walk around the mall, Quinn grabs a shirt and coos with joy. She get's excited about stuff like that, however, I am more like an online shopper. Damien starts laughing out of nowhere, causing a lot of people to stare. Instead it's because Dani looks to be in pain while having a slushy. I walk towards her and grab the cup, "What are you doing?"