Chapter 23. Crawling back to you.

Author Notes and Warnings.

— How is he?

Everleigh asked Madam Blainey, the nurse, as the woman abandoned Phelan's bedside and came to stand in front of the Gryffindor Quidditch's team.

— Oh, dear. He is completely alright. — The nurse waved her hand with a calming gesture at the same time a half-conscious Phelan groaned from the mattress, helping her point. — I gave him a Sleeping Draught and a potion to help with the pain. He is going to leave the infirmary in a few days.

The six figures in red and gold uniforms let out a sigh of relief, only interrupted by the nurse, who spoke again. And this time, her tone was more high pitch and commanding.

— Now, I want all of you out of my hospital wing. Look at the mess you are making on the floor. And Ms. Grayson, do not come to your shift today. Make sure to rest.

— But...

— No "Buts", young lady.

Behind them, the footprints of their shoes had covered the stone with mud, just as the water kept dripping from their drenched uniforms, leaving a trail from the entrance to the beds.
They were soaked from the thunderstorm still.

They all had dashed all over the school to get to Phelan, and not one of them had remembered to cast a drying spell on their clothes. Everleigh slumped back her shoulders as she followed the Gryffindor Quidditch's team to the outside of the infirmary.

They were quiet, and once the doubt about Noel being truly hurt had dissipated, the defeat their house had suffered against Slytherin started to settle in.
She glanced at Natsai, whose pants were ripped around the leg in loose threads, after it had taken both Garreth and Everleigh being able to get the fabric out of the nail.

— He used magic to pin you there. — Demelza, one of the Chasers, spoke with a bitter tone after she had followed Everleigh's gaze. — I just know he did. If we go to the Headmaster and tell him, maybe he could verify the last spell on Pucey's wand and...

— Black would never go for it. — Garreth responded to the accusation with a dry voice, as the group walk down the corridor, dragging their dirty feet on the ground. — And wands are not allowed in the game. Unless we saw it, we can't make a formal complaint.

The quiet hallway led them soon enough into the Central Hall, which had flooded with students from all houses sitting around in groups and talking loudly to each other. Half of them seemed quite excited for Slytherin's victory.
The other half was sympathetic towards Gryffindors, and Everleigh noticed the glances of pity their way.

— Hey, American! — She tilted her head in time to see Zacharias Smith leaving the Hufflepuff crowd he was part of to dash towards them. He smiled softly her way, eyes surveying the defeat in the lions's faces. — How are you faring? Is Noel going to be alright?

— He is fine. — Everleigh responded with a tight smile of her own. — He just needs some rest.

— That's good. — Zach nodded and folded his arms over his chest before talking again. — Slytherin's victory party can be heard all the way up here if you pay enough attention. — The boy snorted faintly at his own comment, and Everleigh found herself wincing in displeasure at it. — If you and your team want to be somewhere else tonight, I can get you in our common room.

As if agreeing with him, the rest of the Hufflepuff Quidditch's team behind him lifted their heads and nodded. While sleeping in a different common room was very much against the rules, the Gryffindor Captain found herself searching for an answer amongst her squad.
Everyone looked so miserable, she had a mind to forget about her Head Girl rules and agree.