Chapter 35. This is Halloween.

— You poked me in the eye!

Garreth yelped dramatically as he covered half his face with his hand and tried to move away from Everleigh's reach. She clicked her tongue with irritation, tugging on his arm to reveal the eye he was protecting from her.

— I didn't poke you. Stop being such a baby.

— I'm not being a baby! You almost clawed my eyeball out.

— Oh, for the love of God.

She pulled on his arm again until it was out of the way and continued spreading the milky paint all over his nose, smearing it where it appeared sheerer, until the boy's face was completely coated in it, giving him an extremely paler appearance that looked ridiculous if Everleigh was allowed to give her opinion. But Garreth was quite decisive about his costume and there was no way to change his mind.

He adjusted the sleeves of his blouse, standing straight and proud in front of Everleigh, as if to show his attire in fullness.

— How do I look?

She tilted her head to the side, biting on her lower lip while wiping the paint out of her fingers with a small cloth. Behind her, her bed shifted and Natsai sat on the mattress where she had been laying on to stare Garreth up and down.

— You look atrocious.

Garreth's smile didn't falter and even his chin lifted with pride.

— Thank you, that means the costume has worked, indeed.

— I suppose it has. At least more than normal.

Everleigh dodged just in time the robes Garreth had crumpled in his hands to throw at Natsai. They landed on her face, muffling the giggle.

— Alright, both of you leave.

Standing in front of the full length mirror that rested in the inside of her wardrobe door, Everleigh grabbed the golden laurel diadem from her desk and set it atop of her head. Behind her, Garreth and Natsai had started bickering on their way out, and she glanced at them through the reflection.

Garreth was wearing the Nearly Headless Nick costume he had wanted to wear since the beginning, alleging that it was considered period clothing. Everleigh was going to argue with him only to later discover that almost everyone in the school had taken Sebastian's request very loosely and were wearing clothes from very different time periods.

Truth to be told, Garreth's did seem to fit the theme, even when he had requested his entire face to be painted white.
"For realism", he had said.

Natsai on the other side was sporting a Regency man's attire, down to the jabot and the cuffs. The white wig looked comical on her head, and Everleigh had spent the entire evening laughing until her stomach was filled with cramps.