Chapter 54. Time for a proper Hogwarts farewell.

It was cold out.

Several inches of snow covered the grass on the pit, and all she could hear was the crunchy noise every boot made when it pressed against the white powdered ground. That, and the roaring coming from the stands.

Red and gold, and green and silver.

Everyone calling out for them.

The Slytherin team reached the center of the field as the Gryffindor one did, Madam Kogawa serving as the bridge in between them. Everleigh's gaze swept rapidly around the seven players, inadvertently looking for him. It wasn't difficult to find him.
He was the tallest.

He also appeared bulkier than normal, probably because of the added layers of clothes underneath the Quidditch's uniform. Sebastian was already staring at her, and he offered a faint smile.

A peace offering.

Everleigh sighed with resignation.

They hadn't spoken since Thursday night, after she abandoned the Undercroft rather abruptly. She didn't particularly feel very forgiving about the news he delivered but it was not a good reason to push him away.

— Captains, shake hands!

Kogawa commanded. They all knew the rules. Lee Jordan's voice echoed through the microphone but she ignored it. She ignored the funny remarks about her relationship with Sebastian and the not-very-legal betting the students had going on. She also ignored how Professor Weasley tried to take the speaker from the boy and how they almost seemed to be wrestling for it, by the sounds that were coming to the field.

She took a step towards Sebastian, and so did him to her. The boy grabbed her gloved hand and squeezed gently, the bracelet around Everleigh's wrist jingling when the charms connected with each other. She should've taken it off, but a part of her wanted to show him that she didn't want to.

Sebastian's eyes lowered to her hand and she saw the lazy smile that tugged on his mouth. More relaxed now, as if her wearing the bracelet had put his mind at ease.

— Grayson.

He muttered her name, amused by her stoic face. Everleigh lifted her chin.

— Sallow.

Her response made his eyes sparkle with delight. They were still holding hands. Now that she was close enough, she noticed something that she had skimmed over while marching into the pit. The Slytherin's team had only six players.
Six, not seven.

Adrian Pucey wasn't there.

Her gaze returned to Sebastian, who must've realized what she was thinking of because he responded with a soft nod. As if conceding.

— Players, mount your brooms! — Kogawa instructed before they all soared into the air, kicking themselves off the ground. — Match starts in three, two, one...

The whistle went off.

━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━

The screaming from the stands intensified and she knew that they were cheering for Sebastian. Everleigh took a quick glance over her shoulder as she planed pass two Slytherin players towards the Snitch, just in time to see the boy making a complicated twirl in the air.

It should've knocked him off his broom. It would've, to any other person. But Sebastian remained seated, body leaned forward as he veered with extraordinary precision, avoiding the wooden infrastructure that connected the field with the stands. He caught up to her, both of them extending their hands to get a hold of the taunting winged ball, who moved faster and faster, mere inches away.