Chapter 40. Rediscovery.

Author's Note.

Everleigh had never seen all of the infirmary beds occupied before.
More cases of coughing and extreme fever still made it in throughout the early hours of the morning, forcing Madam Blainey to cast an Extension Charm inside the hospital wing.
The room enlarged to make space for even more beds.

But the professors and students assisting were rather limited and the number of sick was growing until there were five patients per healer. It was excellent news that they had discovered what type of magical Flu it was before it spread through the entire school, and enforced some precautionary measures.

Bowtruckle wasn't severe, and normally people who experienced it once developed immunity.

Everleigh had caught it on her second year at Ilvernormy, but some of the hospital wing personnel was already displaying mild symptoms.
She spent the entire night brewing potions for them and the patients.

The entire Slytherin Quidditch's team was in there, including Pucey. Out of everyone, Everleigh had tried to avoid him the most, leaving him for someone else. But all hands were on deck and she couldn't afford to be dismissive.
Reluctantly, she had helped the boy drink the pain potions and put cold towels over his forehead to alleviate the discomfort.

"I wish you weren't a Mudblood".

Adrian had mumbled those words in the middle of a fever and she had simply walked away with indignation. As if he had any chance with her had she been a "pureblood". For Heaven's sake, she was disgusted by him.

Lucian Bole, on the other hand, had received her attentions with a small smile and half open eyes. He also mentioned something in a mutter but she couldn't understand it. The boy fell asleep after she made him drink draughts for the pain and the coughing.

And down the line of students she went, bed by bed. Until it was time to start all over again. Cleaning sheets, brewing potions and providing bedside care.

She didn't realize the sun had already filtrated through the windows, bringing a little bit of color and warmth into the infirmary.

— Dear, please go into my office and lie down for a little bit. — Madam Blainey told her for the hundredth time as she offered a cup of chamomile tea to Everleigh that she took with a polite smile. — Otherwise you will be another body in those beds.

— I'm fine, I promise. — Everleigh took a small sip from the bitter liquid. She had never been a fan but the drink was warm and it helped soften the chilly air of the infirmary. — I'm going to brew some more Calming Draughts and then I'll sit down.

— I have a mind to send you to your room now. You have been awake the entire night. But you are the only one I trus...

Whatever praise the witch was offering Everleigh died in her lips when the sound of steps near the door caught their attention. The hospital wing had been kept under a semi-invisible bubble, allowing the doors to be open for people to walk in freely. The seal didn't retain anyone inside, either. It was just a matter of keeping the virus contained into that room.

Five new students walked in. A little younger than Everleigh and flustered with fever. She followed Madam Blainey and reached one of them, a boy that looked around fourteen and appeared barely conscious. She helped him lie down on the closest empty bed.

The tea cup was left behind, forgotten in a nearby desk while she cleaned the sweat of his forehead with wet cloths and checked his vitals.

They were running out of potions. Brewing wasn't a problem. It was the fact that they needed specific plants and Professor Garlick could only do so much.