Chapter 51. Absurdly, irrevocably, head over heels.

God bless the Weasleys and the heaters they placed in every room of the house.

The higher Everleigh had walked up the stairs, the colder it had felt that night.
She and Anne had occupied the guest room in the fourth floor.
Sebastian had taken quarters in Garreth's room. If she could've set up a camera to record the night unfold, she would've.

— They might kill each other.

Everleigh had whispered into the darkness of the bedroom, completely sheathed in quilts. She heard the squeak coming from the mattress across from hers.

— Most definitely not on Christmas. — Anne responded in another mumble, dragging a snort out of Everleigh. — Sebastian loves this holiday. Perhaps in a couple of days.

— I'm surprised your brother hasn't made it in here yet.

— He would refrain from coming if only to make sure Garreth doesn't, either.

She giggled this time. Both girls did. Softly, muffled by the blankets.
At some point, Everleigh fell asleep hugging one the thick pillows on her bed.

━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━

— Wake up! Wake up! Presents are here!

Mafalda was running around the house, and her screeches slip through her hardly conscious mind. It was barely dawn, and faint light was squeezing through the windows enough that she could discern Anne's yawns as she sat up on the mattress.

Everleigh caught a flash of red before she felt Mafalda catapulting herself on top of her. She groaned, stifling a laugh.

— Wake up! Wake up!

The little girl didn't allow her much time to react before she was running out of the room, possibly headed towards Sebastian and Garreth's room next. Both Everleigh and Anne abandoned their beds reluctantly, dragging their feet as they marched down the stairs. Some grunts and a few curses came from the boy's dormitory.
A moment later, Mafalda was bolting down the narrow steps, right by them, forcing them against the wall.

— Mafalda Tessie Weasley! — Mrs. Weasley shouted from the kitchen. — Stop running!

Lancelot had his eyes closed still as he appeared atop the stairs, coming out of his room and following the girls down into the first floor. It smelled like cinnamon, ginger and hot chocolate. There was a pile of neatly wrapped boxes under the ginormous Christmas tree in the living room, that was bigger than the ceiling of the house, so the top was slightly bent to the side.
Mafalda was already sitting on the floor, holding a particularly big box in between her hands with impatience.

As soon as Anne and Everleigh entered the room, Mrs. Weasley came out from the kitchen with a steamy tray of cookies. The smile on her face widened.

— Ah, Merry Christmas!

She said with excitement, at the same time as Mr. Weasley, who was sitting on the old red couch, still in pajamas and with a newspaper in hand. He lowered it just enough to greet the girls as they sought a seat in the same armchair, so curled up together they were practically embracing each other. Lancelot crossed the threshold right behind them, dropping his weight next to his father as he patted his back and murmured something.

— Grab some biscuits while they are warm! — Mrs. Weasley brought the tray first towards the two girls. Everleigh knew better than to object so she took a chocolate one. — Oh, take another! There's plenty for everyone!

So she did, reaching for the ginger nut one. Anne also grabbed a couple of them just in time to see the new two figures coming down the steps into the living room. Garreth's hair was a mess, all over the place while greeting everyone with a low voice and sleepy eyes. Sebastian appeared behind him, just as disheveled.