Chapter 17

3rd Person POV

~FLASHBACK~

As Y/N made her way to school, her mind wandered through a year's worth of memories, reflecting on the chaotic days that had passed. Over those long months, she had battled relentless emotional pain. It was only recently that she'd found the courage to start a journey of self-improvement, finally breaking free from the suffocating grip of her depression.

As she returned to reality, she noticed a man on a ladder, in the midst of painting his store to enhance its aesthetic appeal. Unfortunately, a paintpot fell, nearly hitting another person. His quick reflexes allowed him to avoid it, but fate took a cruel turn as he unintentionally pushed someone onto the road, where Y/N's car subsequently struck the person.

In an instant, Y/N's reflexes kicked in, and she brought her car to a sudden stop. Her heart raced as the shocking realization washed over her – she had collided with a complete stranger.

Y/N hurriedly exited her car to check on the woman she had accidentally hit. The woman lay still, and
Y/N gently lifted her, rushing to the nearest hospital.

An hour passed since the accident, and the lady's guardian entered the hospital room. The doctor wanted to speak with the guardian privately, but curiosity got the best of Y/N, leading her to eavesdrop on their conversation.

Guilt overwhelmed her as she overheard the conversation. "She suffered an accident earlier, and, unfortunately, she's been diagnosed with kidney failure. We urgently need to find a kidney donor."

Unable to resist, Y/N immediately dialed her mother's number. Her heart raced, feeling responsible for the situation. To make things right, she decided to help the lady lying in the hospital bed.

"Mom," Y/N shakily began. "I was in an accident, and I'm now at the hospital."

"Y/N, dear, are you okay? What about the other person?" Mrs. Lee anxiously inquired.

"I'm physically fine, Mom. But the lady I hit... she has kidney failure." Y/N's voice trembled with sadness, causing her mother to gasp in shock. "I want to do what's right, Mom. I want to be her donor."

Mrs. Lee fell silent for a moment, and Y/N pleaded for her mother's approval and consent.

"But, Y/N, you've just recovered—" Mrs. Lee started.

"It's okay, Mom. I can manage, I promise," Y/N reassured her concerned mother. "Besides, I'll carry the burden of regret if I don't do this."

"Y/N... very well. You have my consent, but you have to follow my rules to ensure a speedy recovery afterward. I'll be there in a minute."

Y/N breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing her mother's agreement to become the kidney donor for the injured woman.

~END OF FLASHBACKS~

Y/N was abruptly snapped out of her trance by the voice she had yearned to hear. She blinked, realizing she had been lost in her thoughts, slowly she turned her head towards the road, where the voice had come from.

"Y/N, hop on" the person said with a cheeky grin.

However, Y/N found herself utterly starstruck by the woman's appearance, illuminated by the golden sun. As the golden hour bathed her face in its soft, warm glow, she seemed to radiate an ethereal beauty. The sunlight kissed her skin, casting a gentle, honeyed hue across her features. Her eyes sparkled like amber jewels, reflecting the fading daylight, and her smile held the warmth of the setting sun, making her look like a living, breathing masterpiece in the golden embrace of twilight.

As Y/N debated whether to accept the ride, the blaring horn from behind disrupted her contemplation. The honk acted as a nudge, pushing her to make a swift decision. Without hesitation, she made her way to the shotgun seat.

"Unnie, what brings you here?" Y/N inquired as she settled into the car.

"I was driving back home, but when I saw you, I couldn't resist stopping," Yunjin explained with a warm smile. "I called your name several times."

Y/N blinked, surprised by the unexpected encounter. "You did?"

Yunjin nodded, and Y/N couldn't help but notice the genuine concern in her eyes. "Is everything alright? You seemed lost in thought."

Y/N paused, reflecting on the strange flashbacks she had experienced earlier. "During my months of recovery after the surgery, I've felt something...strange. It's hard to put into words, but it's like a piece of me has been missing all these years. Yet, when I'm with Yunjin, it's as if that emptiness vanishes. It's almost as if she complete me. But I can't help but wonder, could it be related to the lady from the accident? I tried to ask for her name, but the guardian refused, saying it was confidential. Perhaps it's just my imagination; she looked quite different..."

Yunjin's expression softened, showing her concern. "You've been so quiet. Are you sure you don't want to share what's on your mind?"

Y/N's gaze drifted to the road ahead as she contemplated her feelings. "It's nothing that directly involves you," she replied nonchalantly.

Yunjin offered a solution. "Well, how about we grab some ice cream and take a relaxing stroll in the park? It might help clear your mind."

A soft smile graced Y/N's face. "That sounds like a plan."