Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

Almost dramatically, after Ning Jiao finished her question, the dimly lit mansion suddenly became brilliantly illuminated.

The glaring lights made Ning Jiao squint for a moment before quickly opening her eyes. To be honest, not only had she been pursued by Omegas, but she had also, to some extent, pursued others in the ABO world. However, now, like an immature teenager, Ning Jiao held her breath, forgot to breathe, and observed the other person's expression as closely as possible.

She had thought that the other person might be surprised or pleased, or perhaps resistant. But at that moment, the other person's emotions were complex and rapidly changing, leaving Ning Jiao unable to discern anything.

During their silent gaze, the AI "Abigail" humanely spoke up, "I apologize, I shouldn't have turned on the lights at this moment."

The artificial intelligence hesitated earnestly for a few seconds before continuing, "Sir, Miss Ning, would you like me to turn off the lights again?"

After a long pause, Zhao Hezhi finally spoke, "No need."

His voice was too calm, and Ning Jiao nervously bit her lip. She listened as he continued calmly, "Abigail, please leave us for a moment."

The artificial intelligence responded tactfully and went silent.

Ning Jiao followed Zhao Hezhi's movements, her heart pounding nervously. She hadn't found a way to ease the slightly awkward atmosphere when she heard Zhao Hezhi calmly say, "Why do you want to pursue me? Is it because you like me?"

Ning Jiao was momentarily stunned, and before she could respond, Zhao Hezhi slowly continued, "If it's just a momentary whim, a rush of blood to the head, or simply Alpha instinct... I hope you don't express your feelings of liking so clearly."

"Of course," she replied.

His voice had almost no fluctuations, even though he was looking in her direction. Ning Jiao couldn't read any emotions from him as he continued, "I don't have the right to stop your pursuit, but being so straightforward about it will become a burden in our interactions."

Zhao Hezhi finally moved, and Ning Jiao didn't resist as he smoothly pulled his hand back. She watched as he took a step back, deep in thought. However, this time, Ning Jiao spoke before he did.

"It's not like that," she said.

Ning Jiao felt her hand trembling suddenly, so she discreetly clenched it into a fist. Her mind was unusually clear and logical.

"It's not because of a 'momentary whim, a rush of blood to the head, or Alpha instinct.'"

"If it were like that..." She chuckled with a hint of embarrassment. "I would have asked you this question the first time I met you."

Ning Jiao continued earnestly, "I've endured it for so long, and the reason I'm confessing to you now is actually quite simple."

She looked into Zhao Hezhi's eyes, which were quiet under the lamplight, gathering her courage.

"It's because you're cute."

Zhao Hezhi's face noticeably stiffened for a moment.

But as Ning Jiao spoke, she felt relieved. Her words flowed more smoothly.

"You're cute when you can't make toast, when you give me gifts, when you listen to me seriously... uh, during your heat too, you're cute."

As she reached the end, she couldn't help but feel her cheeks flush. She cleared her throat softly to mask her discomfort and whispered, "I'm serious, and in the hypothetical scenario of 'following instincts and love, stepping into the marriage hall,' I want to pursue you. Of course, as you said, my pursuit is an active choice, and you have no right to stop it. But I hope it's an action that won't lead to any misunderstandings or biases on your part."