Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"What's wrong with Xianzhi's body?"

Ning Jiao sat at the table, chewing on her toast as she asked. She raised her hand, and on the other side, Zhao Hezhi naturally handed her the chocolate sauce.

Ning Jiao used a knife to scrape out the freshly arrived chocolate sauce and responded, "We haven't met face to face yet, so there's a bit of awkwardness between us."

"But..." the black-haired Alpha paused for a moment before smiling, "just as you said, he's great to talk to."

Zhao Hezhi smiled at this, lowering his gaze slightly. "Treatment plans have been tailor-made for Xianzhi by the Empire's top medical teams. Although it's been a bit challenging lately, we should see improvement soon."

Ning Jiao finished her last piece of toast and stood up. She casually took Zhao Hezhi's bowl as she said, "I'm looking forward to meeting Xianzhi. Well, the one who cooks doesn't do the dishes, so don't get up."

She lightly patted Zhao Hezhi's shoulder to stop him from getting up.

Despite her words, Ning Jiao only symbolically threw all the dirty dishes and utensils into the automatic cleaning sink. She sighed half-sincerely, "I'm getting tired of toast. Do you only know how to make one type of breakfast?"

...

It took Ning Jiao nearly half an hour to calm herself down. She understood that openly questioning Zhao Hezhi about everything was the last resort. Ning Rong was still searching for information about Zhao Xianzhi, and she hadn't been harmed by Zhao Hezhi in any way. She also didn't know how these delusions might affect Zhao Hezhi's condition.

Meanwhile, Ning Jiao's smart device had received a successful appointment confirmation from the psychologist. She had to monitor Zhao Hezhi's mental state in real-time to determine her next steps.

But before all of that, the safest approach was to keep everything as it was for now. She and Zhao Hezhi were still a new couple enjoying the honeymoon phase, so they should continue to indulge in every moment...

Ning Jiao took a silent breath and noticed that Zhao Hezhi was becoming a bit bashful. He avoided her gaze and cleared his throat, "

"No."

Ning Jiao's eyes lit up instantly. "Then tomorrow we..."

"No," Zhao Hezhi unusually interrupted Ning Jiao's words, waving his hand somewhat flustered. "Not tomorrow, I mean, not just for breakfast, but I can only make... toast."

His voice became quieter as he continued.

Ning Jiao crossed her arms in front of her chest, looking at Zhao Hezhi with a hint of helplessness. His attitude was surprisingly sincere. "Before, I was too busy with work, and today is my day off, so it's a good time to learn some new dishes."

Ning Jiao observed him for a while, then said calmly, "No need."

Her refusal came rather abruptly, catching Zhao Hezhi off guard. He had a blank expression for a few seconds. Just as he was about to continue speaking, Ning Jiao couldn't help but break into a smile.

"You've forgotten, we're supposed to go out together, right?"

Zhao Hezhi seemed to recall this and nodded with a hint of regret. He smiled along with her. "Yes, if you're ready, let's go out as soon as possible."

His eyes curved slightly as he continued, "It's a date."

Ning Jiao cleared her throat, feeling her heart rate increase involuntarily. She wanted to smile, but there was a hint of heaviness in her expression. Almost instinctively, she reached out and gently rubbed the Omega's golden hair.