Chapter 17.

SEVENTEEN — Happy New Year

SEVENTEENHappy New Year

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

December 31st, 1984

New Year's Eve in the Valley was busy, even busier than Christmas. Prestigious couples of the valley were at the country club for the annual New Year's Eve party, or the kids of the valley were up in the hills throwing a party.

Nettie was throwing her annual New Year's Eve party and invited Priscilla as well as her aunts and uncles, and of course, Johnny, Tommy, Dutch, and Jimmy. While Priscilla and the guys sat in the living room, Nettie, Freya, Elijah, Rebecca, and Marcel sat on the back patio a glass of champagne in their hands.

"Thank you for inviting us, Nettie." Elijah said as he sipped his champagne. "This is definitely like old times."

Rebecca smiled as she sipped her champagne and added, "I remember watching Priscilla and Bobby play together. Look at them now."

"Mary always said those two would end up together." Marcel interjected as he sipped his champagne and wrapped his arm around Rebecca "She was right."

Nettie smiled as she sipped her champagne. "Well, Priscilla thinks the world of all of you. She loves all of you dearly."

Elijah smiled as he sipped his champagne. "We think the world of her as well."

Nettie noticed Freya's quiet demeanor, as she continued drinking her champagne, but would smile at the comments her brother and best friends made. Setting her champagne glass down, the older woman asked, "Freya, you've been awfully quiet since we've sat down. Are you alright?"

Freya ran her finger along the rim of the champagne glass, and nodded. "Yes, Nettie, I'm alright."

Elijah, who had also noticed his sister's quiet demeanor interjected, "You haven't said a word since we sat down for champagne, and we've been sitting here for a good twenty to thirty minutes. What's on your mind?"

Freya looked through the glass back door at her niece who was laughing vibrantly at something her boyfriend said, then replied, "I've been thinking about my Lucy. She would have been Priscilla's age, her birthday is tomorrow."

Nettie set the champagne glass down on the table, and took Freya's hand in her own. "What happened to her?"

"She was a stillborn. They asked me if I wanted to hold her. It made the grieving process easier. I remember sitting in the nursery holding my baby girl, wondering what I did wrong." Freya said