11-03 Cadet Catastrophe

"Norman, I think you should really go home now. The cadets exercise is over for today," I heard Ellie say as I came to the door into the hall and saw Norman literally adoring her instead of her words and actions to follow.

Oh, this could be interesting!

"But Ellie. I could help you. You said you were proud of me," the boy with the annoying voice replied, trying to convince her to let him stay here as I hid behind Venus, to listen.

"Yes, Norman and I really am. You reacted very well today when you led Mandy and Sarah away from the fireplace and the gas bottle. I..."

"You see. I could still help you with something. Carrying tubes or your air cylinder device?" he said excitedly and reached for the breathing apparatus that Ellie was about to pack and stow away back in Jupiter. I had left the exam to her for today. She quickly grabbed it as it threatened to slip from Norman's hand.

"It's a breathing apparatus, Norman, and thanks, no. I'd rather carry it myself. It's really heavy and if it hits the valve on the floor we'll have a huge problem here."

"I can do it Ellie. I'm a strong man and a Norman-Man as well!"

"Um, yeah, okay, Norman. Still, no thanks."

"Penny?!" I gasped in shock and jerked around, only to see Sam behind me, looking at me confused. "What are you..."

I didn't even think about it as I put one hand over his mouth and grabbed his arm with the other, pulling him next to me into the protection of Venus. I was just way too curious about what was going on here. I looked at him with a pleading look as I motioned for him to be quiet so I could watch the two of them again around Venus' backside.

"But Ellie. Every woman needs a strong man who protects her and take care of her."

"Where did you get that from, Norman?"

"Well, from Mum. That's what she always says when she is again dreaming about Sam," he replied so dryly that I couldn't help but laugh quietly. Luckily Ellie also burst out laughing so they couldn't hear me. I got an annoyed look from Sam, which I responded with a smile. "What's so funny about that?" asked Norman indignantly.

"Oh, nothing, Norman. I just thought your mother liked Trevor."

"Yes, him too, but I think if she could finally get Sam, she would be happier. She likes Trevor a lot, but she always thinks that the fire in her can only be tamed by a seasoned firefighter like Sam. Whatever that means."

Sam groaned in annoyance next to me and put his hand over his face in embarrassment, while I tried almost desperately not to laugh. Could it actually get any better? Norman adored Ellie and we got first-hand information from Sam's biggest fan.

"Don't worry about it, Norman. You don't have to understand that!" Ellie objected as she came around Jupiter with Norman and I quickly shrank away so that she wouldn't spot me. However, I didn't expect Sam to be so close behind me and I bumped into him. It threw him off balance and he staggered briefly. Instinctively I reached into his shirt and pulled him back. If Ellie saw us, she would never forgive me for eavesdropping.

Sam immediately caught himself on Venus and froze while we waited, transfixed, to see if Ellie had heard anything when he hit Venus' structure with his hand. I held my breath but let out a sigh of relief when I heard the two of them continue to talk outside. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand what they were saying anymore.

Still, I grinned at the thought of Sam being the dream of Dily's sleepless nights.

"So you have fans, huh?" I asked him with a grin and he just raised an eyebrow. I saw him open his mouth to say something as Ellie and Norman's voices came closer again. "Shit. They're coming back," I hissed quietly and dragged Sam with me behind the vehicles to the other side of the hall, because I assumed that Ellie wanted to go upstairs and would inevitably have to pass Venus.