13-05 New Dog on the Block

Soooo, MyFunSong, this chapter is for you. Better late then never. Let's see if you can guess why 😉

I'm sorry for rushing this, but I really want to finally get to season 14 and especially 15. I have so many ideas for this in my head right now.

The German title of the episode 'A great team' would probably fit better here in a sarcastic sense, but I'm tied to the titles. So... 🙈

I had sat between Sam and Elvis in Jupiter during the mission and went into the burning cafe with Sam. He had told me he was going to the basement to look for Sarah - he had never done before that as far as I remembered. He obviously really wanted to make a change and be more careful. It flattered me and scared me at the same time. Fear that I was able to change him so much because I actually loved him as he was, but also fear for Ellie. She was too hot-tempered to get too much leeway just yet. Her temper often got the best of her and that could be fatal in the wrong situation. I was afraid that Sam wouldn't be able to appreciate or consider this and that we might lose Ellie one day because of it.

Even though I was more worried about my friend now, the conversation with her before had made me feel very different when she had told me that Sam now wanted to focus more on supporting her. I had been undeniably jealous - and by God I still was. The two of them were huddled together a little too much for my liking if Sam was actually going to go through with paying more attention to Ellie.

What was I really afraid of? About him becoming interested in Ellie? Or from knowing how low Ellie's moral standards were when it came to having fun? What if one day she could come up with it and convince Sam that a little fun without responsibilities and obligations wouldn't hurt - just like she'd always tried to convince me to do so when we were in one of those bars and some guy has had tried to flirt with me.

Would I be able to forgive them both? It stabbed me in the heart and made me want to run up to Sam straight away and kiss him - just like this afternoon when he was in the park with Radar, Elvis, Malcolm and Shadow. Well, I hadn't kissed him, but after our disagreement yesterday, I thought it would be better to approach him. I didn't want anything to come between us.

Going to the cinema helped us to be able to interact with each other almost normally again. I didn't want yesterday's discussion to ruin everything again. So I had gone to the park in a quiet moment, leaned on the back of the bench at a decent distance and asked Sam how the training with the two dogs was going. Sam had answered me, albeit with a fake cheerfulness that was almost embarrassing, but I had chosen to ignore it. Things would never get better between us if we were both so tense with each other and always inhibited each other.

He needed security when dealing with me and I would give him that, especially since his confession yesterday that he was only doing all of this so he could be with me, really impressed and flattered me. I wanted him too and I would have to show him that and wanted to so that he wouldn't lose heart. Was that wise? I had no idea.

The alarm startled me from the report of today's operation, which I was lost in my thoughts, and jumped up.

"Hiker fell on the cliff near the lighthouse and is hanging on to a ledge. His...pants are tangled on the edge of the rock and the material is already starting to tear?" I heard Steele say in surprise and I saw Sam pause for a moment before shrugging his shoulders and muttering something about that we are in Pontypandy.

"Penny, you and Ellie rappel down from the lighthouse. I'll come to Neptune with Elvis and we'll prepare the jump cushion in case he falls," Sam ordered and I paused for a moment. Was he doing that because he wanted to slow down again or did he want to give Ellie more space to prove herself?