12-07 Space Sandwich

Sam had been acting extremely strangely for the past three days and not just him, Ben too.

Ben had personally come to the station to distribute flyers for his planned campaign next Saturday to rid the sea of ​​plastic and thus protect marine animals. It was a good idea and we'd all been excited about it, but somehow Ben had been more interested in hearing my opinion to his idea than anyone else's. He had also sent me flowers and chocolates to the station the next day and I was glad that Sam hadn't noticed. It was hard enough to explain it to the other three - I didn't know what was suddenly going on with Ben.

Sam, on the other hand, was more attentive than usual. He had pulled the chair out for me at every possible opportunity when I wanted to sit down, he had wanted to relieve me of all the heavy work in the hall and always held the door open for me, even the one to the toilet.

I was more than happy when I found out yesterday morning that he had had to hold the position at the mountain rescue center because Tom had to pick up an injured fox and bring it to Lizzie, who would also be waiting there for the patient. So I had some time to breathe and calm down Ellie, who already smelled a fuse and read in Sam's strange behavior that he was either interested in me or that I was seriously ill and he wanted to do something good for me.

I had at least been able to convince her that Sam just wanted to take trouble away from me since I had an exam in a week, while I had buried Ben's flowers and chocolates in my locker.

"You know, since yesterday they've been acting like they're vying for your attention. Almost like two roosters fighting over a hen," Ellie said with a grin as she leaned against the locker next to mine with her arms crossed, while I was still trying to somehow squeeze the flowers into my locker. I felt so bad for the flowers, but I wasn't particularly a fan of cut flowers either. They looked good for three days and then withered. A potted plant was far more practical.

"Don't talk nonsense, Ellie. It's no secret that Ben is interested in me, but I'm not interested in him," I grumbled sullenly.

“But to Sam you are?” she then asked me when I was finally able to close the door without decapitating another of the flowers.

"What?" I turned to her, confused because I couldn't quite follow her. I didn't even say that.

"You only justified yourself for Ben. But Sam is acting just as strange." Oh right. Ellie read between the lines.

"He didn't give me any flowers or chocolate, did he?" I just relented and went back to the stairwell door. I wasn't a gifted liar, my friends in particular were always quick to see through me, so I had to somehow avoid the answer.

"Not that, but..." she objected, but I couldn't let her continue. She would figure it out and I would give myself away somehow - even if it was just by blushing.

"Sam knows I have an exam in a week. He probably just wanted to give me some time to study and make it a little easier for me to prepare for it," I interrupted her with the excuse I was trying to tell myself , since he was so overprotective.

“Sure?” she asked skeptically and I looked at her just as skeptically.

"What else?!"

"If you say so," she replied with a shrug, but the smile at the corner of her mouth left a bad taste. But I would do a damn thing and keep harping on about it. I would just run the risk of revealing too much.

I was the last to lock the station when someone from behind put their hands over my eyes and although I was shocked to the core, I knew who it was in the next moment and immediately relaxed again.