13-14 Norman and the Sea

In this chapter you will find light suggestive hints. Nothing really bad, I think, but so no one can say I didn't warn you. Have fun while reading.

We were all surprised when Station Officer Steele told us yesterday that Ellie's sister was coming to town to collect samples for her research department at the Marine Biology Museum and to research the Welsh Sea and its inhabitants. We hadn't even known that Ellie had an older sister. Given that we all saw each other as a family, it was surprising that there were still things we didn't know about each other.

However, when I thought back to what Penny had told me about her conversation with Elvis, there were moments when I was glad I didn't know everything about everyone. Just imagining how and where my colleagues conducted their lovemaking sessions made my hair stand on end. Not that I wouldn't be happy for them when they were happy, but Penny and I agreed that this was something that only belonged in everyones own four walls. I couldn't say whether we were too old for that or too prudish and uptight - Elvis himself had called me strange a few weeks ago when I rejected this woman who had made me a pretty clear offer. Even if I had would wanted to, I doubted that the woman herself could have gotten me going, and I didn't have enough imagination to imagine someone else being Penny just to make it work. So if I couldn't really have her, then I didn't want to with anyone at all. That's why I found this rumor, as well as Penny's lack of trust in me that I had something with Ellie, so shockingly absurd, but I could understand why she had become skeptical, because most men don't exactly set the best example, when it came to sexual self-control.

Surprisingly, this topic hadn't been an issue between us until the county fair at all. Not that I didn't want to or hadn't already thought about it. I was only a man when it came to Penny and I couldn't deny that she didn't leave me indifferent. On the contrary. For me, there was no more attractive or beautiful woman on earth, which had been confirmed by one or two dreams in the past, from which I woke up restless, dissatisfied and anything but cool.

She had started this topic for the first time at the county fair, but when she misunderstood that I had said that I had no interest in this form of togetherness and she had told me how unfortunate she thought it was, this tone was in her voice and a sparkle in her eyes that I had never seen before and that immediately caused one or two synapses in my brain to burn out. If we had been alone, I'm sure I could have convinced her pretty quickly that it wasn't quite as she understood it. It had taken all my self-control not to pull her close to me at that moment and not to try. She didn't know what power she had over me.

I had wanted to talk to her about it last night, but she had gone to visit her parents in Newtown and I had spent a more than restless evening alone. Sure we had exchanged a text message or two, but the topic we had started in the park was something I didn't want to discuss with her over my cell phone. Nevertheless, it made me uneasy that this was standing between us and I couldn't leave it like that. Especially since I had the next day off and didn't know what to do with myself.

When I went to the station this morning to at least say hello to her and I have heard that Steele had ordered her to help Jodie out with her search for the rare and recently spotted spotted ray and to provide samples of the sea, I didn't hesitate and ran straight to the Whole Fish Cafe to tell the twins about it, knowing full well that it would pique their curiosity and they would want to come along. It had been the perfect excuse to be with Penny on my day off.

The fact that Norman had caught wind of it and came to the Cafe exactly in this moment when the children were happily asking their parents if they could come with me and he had then wanted to come with us too, was a stupid side effect.

We had been able to meet Jodie and Penny at the ocean rescue center, just like Hannah, who wanted to support Jodie with the Submaster 2000 and Jodie had been very enthusiastic about our offer to accompany her. Penny had given me a curious grin as she stowed the air tank and mask in Neptune. She was already wearing the suit and I quickly took advantage of the opportunity and also had my ocean rescue uniform ready in Neptune - just in case, since we had Norman with us. But today he wasn't the one who caused a stir.