second chance trope (fred's version)

NOT PROOFREAD!

——————————

Prologue:

Pt 1: "Y/n, your hands are bloody cold!", Fred yells as you sneak your bare hands under his shirt to press them on the warm skin of his back

Pt 1:
"Y/n, your hands are bloody cold!", Fred yells as you sneak your bare hands under his shirt to press them on the warm skin of his back.
"I know.", you giggle.
He does not push you way, instead pulls you closer to wrap you in a bear hug.
Rocking you back and forth, he rests his head on yours.
"Hey let's go inside.", he mumbles after a while. Thinking of the warmth of the burrow that is to find in every corner of the lovely, cozy house, you nod enthusiastically.
Fred leads you into his home,. By now you're familiar with the constant buzzing of people heading around, and don't flinch when you enter the kitchen and a huge plate of oven potatoes whizzes over your head.
"Dinners almost ready. Molly says. And look who has just arrived!"
Turing your head, you see two unfamiliar figures sitting in the living room, deep in a conversation with Arthur. But by the color of their hair and the way the act, they're definitely Weasleys. Bill and Charlie, you suppose.
Fred leaves your side to welcome his older brothers, then motions to you. "That's y/n."
The oldest that introduces himself as Charlie, sends you a wink. "The girl that got my little brother wrapped around her fingers, right?"
You blush a little, but can't hide the smile that forms on your lips. "I guess."
Fred laughs too, but it looks a little off, crooked even.
After you are all full and everyone emptied their plates, Molly shoos you all into the living room for a tea and chatter. Fred however gets swooped away from Bill. They leave though the back door. Fred does not reappear for the next hour
and when Molly lightly asks where they went, you quickly get up. "I'll search for them."
After walking a circle around half of the house, you can hear voices coming from a shed you know that's filled with gardening supplies and food for the chickens.
Why would they be talking in a dark, crusty shed instead of the garden or even the house?
You sneak a little closer until your back is pressed against the wall of the shed.
"Fred, I believe that you have true feeling for her, but you can't keep lying. If you love her you must see that she deserves honesty."
You can hear Fred groan out of frustration. "Do you think I don't know that? Fuck, she deserves the stars in the sky, but how can I tell her the truth if she's going to leave me?"
It's clearly they're talking about you and both fear and guilt fill your stomach. You're eavesdropping and that's not fair, on the other hand the urge to know what is going on is overwhelming.
"I hope you didn't take the money."
The money? Did Fred steal from anyone?
He scoffs. "I would only take it if it would help me undo the bet."
"You and George must have lost your minds. Betting on how fast you could get a girlfriend..."
You gasp, then freeze. From the sudden silence, you can tell they heard the noise you made.
As fast as you can, you run towards the house, but Fred already saw you. "Babe!", he yells.
The pet name cuts like a knife trough your flesh. Biting back tears, you head up the stairs.
I was naive, I was naive, I was naive.
The words repeat in your head in a loop as you run, and they're almost as loud as the sound of your shattering heart.
Frantically, you grab every of your belongings you can find and stuff them into your back that's lying next to the desk when the door bursts opens.
"Fuck, babe, let me explain-"
Fred is panting, both from running and out of panic.
"There's nothing to explain, thank you.", you hiss, wiping tears from your cheeks while still grabbing your things.
Fred grabs you by the shoulders to stop you. "Please, you only heard half of the story."
You sob and try to shake his hands off, but your whole body starts shaking and you start crying. Because you're too heartbroken to fight him, you let Fred pull you to his chest. Your tears soak his sweater.
"I'm so sorry, y/n. I really don't know what has gotten into me when I accepted the bet, but please believe me, you're so much more than that. I didn't know you back then, but now..."
With every word, you have the feeling your heart is getting ripped out of your chest.
"I feel so bad for you, and I was to afraid to tell you. I can't loose you because I love-"
Fred falls silent as you pull away and shake your head. "You don't get to say that. Not anymore, not after what you did to me. That's not love."
With that, you grab your bag and leave. It takes Fred a moment to process and when he did, he runs after you, but you're long gone.