second chance trope (neville's version)

NOT PROOFREAD!

——————————

Prologue:

Pt 1: You're sitting in the courtyard, cross-legged

Pt 1:
You're sitting in the courtyard, cross-legged. Neville's hand is firmly rested on your knee as you are sitting with your friends.
You have all together decided to take advantage of the great weather. Fall has already set in and even though the colorful leaves swaying in the breeze are a sight for sore eyes, it's becoming to cold to stay outside. Today however the sun is out, warming your skin.
In this moment, the world is a peaceful place. You lean over to kiss Neville softly on his lips. His ear grow red. He loves showing affection in public, but he's blushing every time, even after weeks of being together. You chuckle to yourself. "You're so cute.", you say.
Neville gives you a wide smile. "I love you."
You rest your head on his shoulder, your heart overflowing with emotions. "I love you too."
With closed eyes, you soak in the scenery and lick it in your mind to never forget it.
Suddenly, your peace gets interrupted as someone blocks the sun from your face.
You open one eye and are met with Draco Malfoy.
"What do you want, Malfoy?", Ron asks a few places from you.
Draco's head turns for a second. "Not your business."
Then his eyes wander across your friends: Harry, Hermione, Dean, Seamus and then Neville. A cruel smirk appears on his lips.
"Go, Draco.", you say.
He crosses his arms. "Oh but I have great news for you. You'll like to hear them."
Everything about his face makes you think that you probably won't like to hear them, but David being Draco, he's going to drop it anyways.
To your surprise, he turns to Neville. "Congratulations. It seems like you aren't a complete waste of space. You've got some Slytherin in you as it seems, Longbottom."
"What do you mean?", you ask, eyes flickering between the tall blonde and your boyfriend sitting next to you.
"I mean that Longbottom seems to have a secret."
To your surprise, Neville stiffens next to you. His grip on your knee tightens.
"Let's just go.", Neville says, attempting to get up, but Draco pushes him back again.
You get angry. "You have no right to lay hand on Neville! Besides, he has no secrets from me.", you yell at Draco.
He squints his eyes. "Of course he does. He did his best to keep it from you. But I have my eyes and ears everywhere."
You sigh. "Draco, either piss off or drop it." You say, taking Neville a hand in yours to show him that you have his back.
Draco laughs. "Remember this feeling, Longbottom. She's not going to take your hand again after what I have to say."
"Please don't.", you hear Neville say. His voice is trembling. Your confusion grows.
"Pathetic, the way you beg.", Draco snarls. "Anyways, this actually involves also two of your friends here."
His eyes flicker to Dean and Seamus and they exchange guilty looks.
You glance at Harry, Ron and Hermione. They seem to be as clueless as you are.
"So it seems that Longbottom has earned himself 20 galleons by winning a bet.", Draco starts.
You raise a brow, waiting for things to make sense.
"Do you want to know what the bet was about?", he asks you.
Now Neville gets up. "Shut up, Malfoy!"
Draco laughs at Neville's attempt to intimidate him. He turns back to you. "Good thing you're sitting, this will knock you down. So, I overheard those two-", he points at Dean and Seamus, "- talking in the hallways earlier. Looks like they made a bet with Longbottom, about if he could make you fall in love with him."
You start laughing. "How long did it take you to-"
...'come up with that story', you wanted to say but then Neville turns around and you see the guilt lingering in his eyes and the way his lips start trembling.
Looking over to Seamus and Dean, you see the exact same expression in their eyes.
Suddenly, the world comes to an halt. It's as if the sun is a paid actor. She hides behind a grey cloud and the world turns dark, just like your mind.
You get on your feet, struggling to do so. "Tell me that's a lie.", you plead to Neville, who avoids your piercing eyes.
"I'm sorry.", he whispers with a broken voice.
You hug yourself. "You out of all people, Neville. God, I was so naive."
Tears fill your eyes. "We're done.", you croak.
You leave the courtyard as fast as your legs carry you, Neville's calls for you and Draco's cold laugh following you.