6 | This is Goodbye

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Syra

There was an excitement in the car. We were finally getting somewhere. Zeeshan was driving, Musa was in the seat beside him and Jannah and I were in the back. We were heading to Rawalpindi.

But even as everyone chatted away, I stared out of the window, my heart sinking.

"I'm sorry, Syra, but I cannot extend your time any further. You'll have to come back to the office on the day you were supposed to." Rachel, my boss, had told me in a sympathetic but firm tone.

Which meant that I had three days left here. Only three days.

"How did you guys even come across this lead?" Zeeshan grinned in the rear-view mirror.

"Because 'efficiency' is our middle name." Jannah replied.

"You both have the same middle name?" 

"Our parents had a 'great-minds-think-alike' moment across the world from each other." Jannah shrugged. She glanced at me. "What are you thinking about? Chup chup bethi ho zaroor koi baat hai..." She sang out.

*"You're sitting quietly, surely something's the matter..."

Most likely akhri mulakat hai soon. I shook my head. "Nothing." 

"You're normally so energised. Today you're like a deflated balloon." Jannah tilted her head to look thoughtfully at me.

"I'm tired." I muttered. Three days. My eyes filled up. 

We arrived in a quiet tree lined street in Pindi and Zeeshan pulled up outside a one-story house with mud-brown gates. "Are you sure this is it?" He asked, glancing at us over his shoulder.

"We don't come here every day, Zeeshan. This is our first time too." Jannah replied.

"I can't believe this." Musa said, getting out of the car.

As well all also got out, Zeeshan walked around and placed a hand on his back. "Remain calm." 

"If they don't have an effing answer for me, like hell I'd remain calm." Musa muttered from between gritted teeth.

The four of us stood in a line, staring up at the house the way a bunch of thrill seekers in films stare up at a haunted house before entering. 

Musa glanced down at me. "You okay?" He frowned in concern.

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak without my voice breaking. This was my own fault, for launching myself into this so deeply. But how was I meant to leave midway, leave my new friendship with Jannah and break the promise I made to Musa to help him?

Zeeshan and Jannah had started walking ahead, but both of them glanced over their shoulders with grins on their faces. I'd actually think they were a match made in heaven.

"I'll do all I can, Musa. I wish that we succeed, but I'm sorry if my efforts are not enough."

"Don't say that, Syra. Already you're doing so much for me and my family that I can never, ever forget it in my lifetime." His tone was soft, a complete contrast to a few moments earlier when he refused to remain calm in the absence of answers.

"I wish nothing but happiness and peace for you and your family. It's going to sound silly, but I feel like a very small part of this ongoing story now." 

"Not a very small part. Not at all, Syra Amir." He whispered, his gaze intense as it remained on my face.

Someone cleared their throat. "Can we pause these bonding moments till later?" Amusement was obvious in Jannah's voice.