21 | This Family Is Strong

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Syra

"What are you thinking, Syra?" Jannah asked me. "It's the opportunity of a lifetime. Accept the job." She chewed on the chicken nuggets.

We were sitting in a food court in a mall, where I had met up with her to catch up with her. "Yes, I think I will be. I've already told Musa that I'm seriously considering it. He said that whatever I decide, he'll support me."

"That man is smitten. If you decided to move to the moon, he's probably follow you now." She giggled. "Ma Sha Allah."

Ma Sha Allah. I sipped on my cold drink using the straw, all the while smiling. "Speaking of smitten...how's Zeeshan Bhai?" 

She narrowed her eyes at me as I laughed.

For a while we ate in silence, and then I spoke up. "My parents are going back to London tonight."

She looked at me, sympathetically. "You okay?" 

"I'm trying not to think about it." I shrugged. "It's weird. I've travelled without them, but now that they're going, I..." 

"It's permanent now. I get it." She whispered.

"It just...I'm still in disbelief." I shook my head. Thinking about how I wasn't going to go back to my familiar home, how I wouldn't be the same Syra Amir who spent countless hours in her room, working on her photography projects while her mother complained about it; it was all a little overwhelming.

But although I missed my old life, I couldn't deny that I liked being with Musa. He was my partner, my best friend in the form of a husband. I didn't regret marrying him for even a second.

Life was all about changes, and for most of the desi girls the biggest changes their lives came along with marriage. I was going to accept that and I was going to do everything I can to adjust to my new life with my sweet new family.

*

Musa

"Why?" I blinked at Dad. "Why did you even consider this possibility? It makes zero sense to me why you would want to bring her into our home." 

"She's my responsibility, Musa. She's elderly and she needs twenty-four-hour care. I cannot simply leave her with a maid. I need to be around." He remained calm as he sat on the living room sofa, sipping a cup of tea. "She'll remain downstairs, separately from everyone else." 

"Did you not consider Mamma?" 

Now he looked up, his gaze sharp and displeased. "This is her decision, Musa, so don't you dare get started again." 

"You may trust her around your wife, but I'm not staying in this house with my new wife if she will be living here." I blurted out without thinking.

Mamma walked in, and even though she didn't understand the conversation, she could clearly sense the tension between me and my father. "Ki hoeya ay, Musa?"

*"What happened, Musa?"

"Ya Dado yahaan rahaingi, ya main aur Syra." I muttered.

*"Either Dado stays here, or me and Syra."

Dad harshly set the cup of tea down onto the side table and stood up. "Ki karan main? Kalay chad dawan apni maa noun maran laiy?"

*"What do I do? Shall I leave my mother alone to die alone?"