7 | Reunion

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Syra

"I don't care. I'm glad your boss didn't give you an extension." There was a soft smile on Mum's face, blatantly displaying her relief, as we video called.

I was packing my suitcase.  I'd wanted to go to Lahore, but there were storms over Lahore and the flights were being cancelled, so I'd decided not to risk it. And going by coach wasn't an option. I'd already stressed Mum out enough. "Mum, my happiness means nothing to you?"

"Your safety comes first."

"Mum..."

"Forget all that. Don't forget to bring bakarkhani for your Faiz Mamu."

*Bakarkhani: puff pastry of sorts.

"You are so unbelievably biased towards Mamu, despite having sisters as well." I shook my head as I folded up the dress that I had worn for the kite festival. It brought back nostalgic heavily and I swallowed hard.

"He's been like a father to us sisters." She told me what she always said. "Anyway, I'm glad you're coming back."

A notification popped up on my screen and I leaned closer to see that Jannah was calling me. "Mum, I'll call you back. Jannah is calling." I had told my mother all about my new friend, and Mum was glad I had someone like her with me.

"Okay. And send me your flight details. Your Dad and I will come to the airport." 

I honestly couldn't blame my mother for her excitement, but she had no idea what I was going through internally. My heart wanted to remain here forever. Or at least for a while more. 

In fact, I had given my heart away: to my homeland, to Khwabpur, to the memories...

I ended the video call and answered Jannah's call. "Hey, Jan. What's up?" 

"Yo, let's go to a mall since Lahore is no longer a part of your itinerary." She suggested.

"Yes, I've literally bought nothing for anyone." I groaned. "Plus, we'd have to go to a bakery as well." 

"Sure. I'll be there in an hour, In Sha Allah."

"Great! See you then!" 

*

I was in the food court a while later, waiting for the waiter to bring our order while Jannah had gone to the ladies' restroom. I received a message and I glanced down at my phone. It was a message from my cousin Ifra.

<Ifra: I have news that you probably won't like. 😬>

<Syra: Yeah, go ahead, add to my miseries.>

<Ifra: What's wrong?>

<Syra: What's the news?>

<Ifra: Remember Haroon Zulqarnain?>

<Syra: Who?>

<Ifra: Son of Amir Khallu's friend, Zulqarnain Uncle?

<Syra: Oh...yeah...What about him?>

<Ifra: I think his family wants to bring rishta over for you. I heard Mama discussing it with Rumi Khalla.>

What is it with the desi obsession with marriage from the time a girl turns twenty?

<Syra: 🙄>

<Ifra: I'm sending you a screenshot of his social media profile. He's not that bad looking, tbh.>