8 | Promises

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Syra

I kept thinking about the potential rishta waiting for me back at home, and my heart felt like someone had literally set it alight. I had no idea why I felt this way.

Well, actually, that was a lie. I could feel those lingering feelings that I was trying to deny or ignore, but was not fully able to do so. The charming, kite-flying guy had completely overwhelmed me and my senses, leaving in incapable of even considering marriage to someone else. But there was an impossibility to this that I couldn't ignore either. First, I had no idea how he felt. Most likely, he was just being sweet and kind. And secondly, I felt guilty. I had been trusted by my parents to come here alone, and by having these feelings, I felt like I was betraying them in a way.

I sat at the desk in my hotel room, sipping on a cup of coffee while blankly staring at my laptop screen, when my phone started ringing. I glanced towards it and my heart almost stopped.

Musa.

While my heart and my fingers itched to answer the call, I held myself back. I didn't think I could hear his voice right now and not go back to Khwabpur.

The call finally stopped, but a few seconds later, there was a message notification. I picked up my phone and saw that he had left an audio message, and I clicked on it.

"Syra, I don't even know where to start." His voice was full of raw emotions. "My mother is back, along with my younger brother! Yes, I have a younger brother, Ma Sha Allah. I cannot thank Allah enough, but after Him, I cannot thank you enough either. Syra, before you go, can we meet one more time? I want to introduce you to my family. I want them to meet the girl who did so much for us, with utter selflessness." 

I pursed my lips together and closed my eyes, unable to stop my tears. Knowing about my feelings for him, I didn't think it was a good idea for us to meet. We had no future together, and I didn't want to cross my religious or cultural boundaries, now that his family had been reunited and my project finished. I had no valid reason to meet Musa Duraid anymore. I typed a reply.

<Syra: Hey, Musa. I cannot talk right now, but congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your family! I'd love to meet your family, but I need to do some last minute things before I leave, so I don't think it's possible. But I wish you all the best.>

A tear dropped onto my thumb as I typed. 

There was a knock on the door, and I set my phone aside and stood up. Roughly wiping away my tears using the back of my hand, I walked over to the door and opened it.

It was Jannah, holding a shopping bag from a bakery. She casually walked past me. "Hey. I got these things for Uncle and Aunty. Tell them about the new friend you made that you never knew you needed in your life." 

"You really didn't have to, Jan." I closed the door and followed her as she set the bag on the desk.

She turned to face me. "Not everything has to be done, Syra. Sometimes people do things because they want to."

I smiled weakly.

She squinted as she studied my face. "You okay?"