14 | Wishes

© All copyrights belong to StarsAndMoon1447 on Wattpad

*

Musa

I had no idea what I had expected from Syra when she told me that she wanted to talk to me.

But I certainly did not expect what she ended up saying.

I was standing on the terrace, staring out thoughtfully at Khwabpur when I felt her approach me and stand beside me. I turned to look down at her. "Why do you do this to me?" My voice was barely above a whisper. "Why do you make me so weak? I can't get rid of the image of you sitting amongst the baby goats. All I could think of was that this is the woman that I want to marry."

"Then marry me." She spoke as if she was in a trance, unaware of what she was saying herself.

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"Marry me, Musa Duraid." She breathed out in a soft voice.

For a second I felt like this was a dream. A khwab in Khwabpur. I couldn't believe what she was saying. The reason for her earlier refusal was still very much there, so how had she agreed now? 

She shrugged. "I have spent a whole lifetime with my parents, Alhumdulillah. But you just found your complete family after searching your whole life. I cannot ask you to make this sacrifice, nor do I want you to. And since love is about sacrifice, I am willing to do this."

"Syra, you don't need to make this sacrifice. I don't want you to be unhappy."

"I'm not the first girl moving abroad after marriage, Musa. And I am doing this willingly, with the full knowledge and understanding of what I am doing. This is my choice, and it's up to you if you're willing to still go ahead..."

I nodded thoughtfully, turning to face the serene village. "I might remain here permanently."

"I've considered that."

"And you're still willing to go ahead?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"I know that I'd rather not lose this." She pointed between herself and me.

"My family has been through a lot. I'm going to have to focus on them a lot."

"I completely understand that, and I'd do anything I can to help."

I looked into her eyes, and I had no doubt that she was speaking sincerely. But now could I expect her to repeatedly help me out in looking after my family after marriage? I had a duty towards them, but she wouldn't. 

"Don't do that, Musa." She sighed.

"Don't do what?" 

"Don't think that you know what's best for me, and therefore make a decision that requires a huge sacrifice unnecessarily." 

"All I want to make is a selfish decision."

"Then who's stopping you? Certainly not me." 

I glanced at her again, and I let myself get lost in her eyes again. She had no idea how much she meant to me, and how much I just wanted to say 'yes'.

"I'm going home soon. I'm cutting my trip short." She admitted. "Let me know your answer, Musa. Because whatever the decision will be, it will be a hundred percent final this time." 

*

And so, I had her words still ringing in my mind two days later as I headed to Islamabad with Faris and Shaila.