CHAPTER 2 : The Balcony

Walking back from the river shore, I once again came in front of the small escape door, which now seemed like a portal to a distinct world to me. But then again my mind took me back to the man, taking a bath in such ice cold river-? Who was he? He had seized my brain cells. Not getting oblivious and coming back into the palace, I instantly ran through the gardens before somebody saw me. I ran once again through the marigold meadows and came into the open garden that met the entrance of the palace from behind.

But unexpectedly I was greeted by a group of soldiers, Mata and my three sweet sisters. I became worried and was a little afraid to see them. It wasn't that long since I had come up here, and now I wasn't even familiar with them, and thus it frightened me. What if they imprison me-? NO.

"Nihira Putri, where were you?" Said mata.

"In the garden," I answered back with a little uncertainty in my voice.

She stood motionless and three of them had a face that something was going to happen. Devpriya Didi appeared more eager than all of the others. She had an unreasonable smile on her face and when I darted at her she instantly coated it up with a look that depicted despair and terror.

"Mata, you should tell her not to roam around the palace alone." Said Devpriya Didi, suddenly invading Mata before she attempted to speak.

"Why- is that? My putri can go anywhere and everywhere she wants to go." Said Maa, cupping my cheeks into her palms and kissing me on my forehead, it reminded me of my mother back in Kaliyug who was as loving as her, out of all the people I met in Kambhoj she was the dearest and I already started loving her.

"But puri, be careful while you go around in the evening. Sometimes it's not safe here." Said Mata Rukmani with a tense indication.

"Not safe here in the palace. Why?" I doubted.

"Because-forget it. You just have to be cautious and don't go out in the night. That's it." She finished off. I could see Devpriya didi was slightly disappointed, she once again spoke to Mata, which made me look at her with an expression of dismay.

"But Mata, Nihira was saying to go on the riverside, I told her not to go. The river current might get high." She let out coming down the stairs and hugging me from behind. I was just amazed by her sudden reaction. She was a weird sort, nobody could tell what would be her next move. But why was she behaving like this all of a sudden? She was nice when I first met her. And now there's a change in her behaviour.

"and I don't want her to get hurt by something," she said looking at me with a disgusting smile.

"Riverside-? Nihira you are not considered to go near the river Purti." Said Mata, with care in her eyes.

"Yes maa, I won't repeat that," I said smiling decently. As Mata sauntered away with the soldiers I too followed her leaving three of them behind. Walking through the long and wide corridors of the palace, reminded me of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's movie sets. How is this even real? There were handcrafted mini sculptures plastered on the ceiling. How did they even reach there? The long vases kept at every corner of the hallway were nourished with fresh flowers, and a red carpet was laid down in every aisle. During the night there were lanterns lit. It did not even feel like there was no light here.

Rooms were filled with candles that were scented like mint and diya lit in the ponds and sprays around the castle. It always felt like there was a function, so many decorations and flowers and people around.

Walking through the passageways I reached the royal kitchen, which was reeking lovely. A large container was kept outside and it was as big as a rath. I peeked into the kitchen, ladies and men working there, were busy making sweets and some were cutting a large number of vegetables.