CHAPTER 17 : The Boy

The following day passed swiftly, and the image of the young boy I encountered in the forest did not enter my thoughts. I remained occupied throughout the day, engrossed in studying astronomy and politics. However, my focus shifted when Tushti requested me to retrieve water pots from the lake. The sight of the lake triggered memories of my initial meaningful conversation with Ashwattama, and it reminded me of how my feelings for him had begun to develop from that moment onward.

As the sun descended gradually, casting a crimson hue upon the sky, pelicans gracefully soared across the vibrant horizon. I leisurely made my way towards the tranquil lake, finding solace in the soft grass beneath my feet. The gentle touch of the grass alleviated my stress, allowing me to breathe freely and deeply. Unexpectedly, a hand emerged from behind, firmly grasping my wrist, sending a shiver down my spine. In an instant, my entire body collided with a solid figure. And there stood Ashwattama.

He looked into my eyes, with passion and light. His eyes were dark and deep, deeper than the ocean itself, as i drowned into them, unable to get to the shore. he was smelling of jasmin, and suddenly he released my wrist, backing off, i too hesistated for a moment. Adjusting the trails of my hair coming out.

"What are you doing here—?" I questioned to him, he gave me a warm smile. Looking here and there, being nervous all of a sudden.

"Helping you." He replied, making a sign to walk with his hand, I followed him.

"But I don't need your he—"

"Shhh—" he said, As he placed a finger gently upon my lips, a smile emerged on my countenance, causing my cheeks to blush. With an air of regality, he gracefully traversed through the forest, resembling a king. I trailed behind him in tranquil silence, occasionally stealing glances at each other, filled with timidity and unease, unable to maintain direct eye contact. At times, he attempted to utter something, yet ultimately refrained. Opening and closing his mouth, he struggled to find the right words, but alas, they eluded him.

We reached the lake, the atmosphere was serene and calming. The chirping of the birds intensified and deers came onto the shore drinking water, it clearly was a moment of bliss.

I was informed about his aspiration to acquire the knowledge of brahmanastra and his preference for Duryodhan to assume the next position. Attentively, I listened to him until the moment I caught sight of the young boy once more.

He stood by the opposite side of the lake, cleansing his hands and quenching his thirst. Curiosity compelled me to steal a glance at him, noticing the bow and arrows adorning his back. Unaware of the boy's presence, Ashwattama remained oblivious until I suddenly grasped his hand, signaling him to direct his gaze in that direction. His eyes narrowed upon spotting an unfamiliar individual at the far end.

After rising to his feet, he tightly gripped his fist and fixed his gaze on the boy, maintaining this stance for a while. As soon as the boy noticed our presence, a look of fear appeared on his face. He swiftly gathered his weapons and hurriedly disappeared into the depths of the forest.

Ashwattama called out to him, urging him to halt, but his pleas fell on deaf ears. I too stood up from the shoreline as Ashwattama dashed towards him. A wooden bridge spanned across the lake, which was relatively small and featured a petite waterfall cascading down from a towering hill. This body of water was only present during certain seasons.

We followed the boy inside the jungle, when he asked me to halt there and stay outside,As the forest might have animals or other hazards within it but i insisted on going along with him, he held my hand firmly. A tingling feeling arose inside my chest, as I cherished his protective nature. A profound sense of safety and solace enveloped me.