CHAPTER 9 : Karna

"Main aadhirath putra karna."

Said the young man, Gurudev darted at him with utmost disarray and eventually his smile started to vanish, the domain was motionless, and everyone looked at him without blinking, I was stunned by the aura Karna had, for I knew him already but seeing him like this was not on My to-do list.

"I admire your excellence in archery son." Let out Gurudev, with a tiny smirk. Karn glanced into the eyes of Guru Drona, who further examined him.

"This is nothing, Gurudev. I want to learn more under your guidance. I want your blessings, please allow me to be your student." Claimed Karn standing in front of all the other students. He joined his hands and swerved his head in front of him, I glimpsed at him for how flawless he was.

"Hmm, but you should know I only teach students who are from Kshatriya or Brahmin clans." Spoke gurudev. Advancing his head up, his eyes scanned around the students, mostly Rajkumars and young Brahmins. Karna was silent, his gazes were down looking at the feet of Gurudev.

"through your physique, I can make out you're a Kshatriya, aren't you-? Spoke Gurudev, glancing at Arjun.

"I'm a suta putra, Maha Guru Drona." Claimed Karna with a heavy and convinced voice, hearing his words most of the students commenced to mumble, and the atmosphere became noisy, Duryodhan who stood at the far end, looked hopefully at Karn. In a distinct way, like he already knew him, someone like a long-lost friend.

"Nakul, who is a Suta Putra-?" I questioned whispering into Nakul's ears.

"Everyone knew: a Suta was the son of a Kshatriya father and a Brahmin mother. The name was synonymous with the profession of Marathi or charioteer because most persons of the Suta gotra turned to the profession of charioteering." Whispered Nakul, Gurudev looked on gush, Ashwattama stood beside him, through his face it appeared like he wanted to soothe his father, to stop him. But he couldn't.

"Putra Karn, I don't think I can help you anywhere in this, I don't teach Suta's." Said Gurudev in a harsh tone.

"But-Gurudev what is wrong in this, my caste just cannot take away the right to learn from you! I can be a great archer, under your guidance gurudev." Spoke Karn, resisting and turning hopeless, he wasn't that old, but older than many of us here.

"It can, and in my eyes I can only see Arjun, being the finest archer. You should go away, son." Said Gurudev looking at Arjun, who was puzzled at the moment. I felt a rash of sorrow on seeing Karn being treated like this, I wanted to help him, and I felt this need to stand up for him, I tried to speak but I eventually was cut off by Duryodhan.

"Gurudev, how can you declare Arjun the finest archer-? When you saw how perfect this young man was, better than Arjun in every way." Said Duryodhan coming forward near Karn and standing beside him.

"Gurudev, you can at least give him a chance. One's caste cannot be a reason for not getting educated." I said coming forward, Nakul tried to stop me, before I shoved his hand away, speaking clearly in front of Gurudev, everyone stared at me, I felt uneasy but when my gaze met with Duryodhan he gave me a little grimace, assuring me to be on my side.

"Stay Quiet, Duryodhan and Nihira, I am not here to listen to your useless advice." Shouted Gurudev, Duryodhan stared at Gurudev with hostility and conceit, and I peeked at him with shock and disarray. Nakul came forward and asked me to come back before I could argue any further.

"Fine, I'll be back. Gurudev I'll be back as a better archer than your student Arjun. I promise." Said Karn in the most hefty and rude voice, he was on fire, his wrath seemed like he could burn the whole forest under his rage, and his eyes revealed outrage and spoke thousands of words without without sending them out.