CHAPTER 5 : Ashram

We continued on our trip until the daylight began to dim, we had reached the foothills and the temperature began to fall as the sun descended on the horizon. I draped a shawl across my body, that reminded me of that stranger I saw near the river. But it was better to forget him, for he might have been my fantasy. I still remember the diamond he had epitomized upon his head and the janev he wore around his chest. And which wasn't probable for a human being.

Getting out of my imaginary world, we halted near a well on the outskirts of a village, as we could see lanterns scorched outside the village and the sound of music being played somewhere nearby. The sun was about to set, and Megh stopped beside the horse of Gurudev who jumped down from his. As I sat there dormant, trying to figure out how to get down from the creature, I saw Devpriya didi already coming down from his, which made me anxious about the situation I was in, until I heard Ashwattama's voice.

"Give me your hand Rajkumari." Let out Ashwattama.

I paused for a bit, trying not to take his help. I ignored his call and tried getting down by myself. Guru Drona had already gone away for his meditation and Devpriya didi stood just beside Ashwattama trying to speak something that would come out as the meanest statement of this era.

As I jumped down from the horse, Ashwattama held my hand trying to save me once again from falling, but the damage was done. And instead of landing safely on my legs, I twisted my ankle, trembling on my feet. As I fell on the ground I closed my eyes.

"Ouch-ouch-" I cried in misery, a brutal amount of pain roused up in my ankle making me tremble as I tried to stand up. I could hear Devpriya Didi laughing and clapping.

"I knew it, you are looking so funny Nihira. I wish Aarya and Kirti could see this as well." She said laughing at her loudest. Meanwhile, I sat on the soil with harsh pain in my ankle.

"Would you please shut up?" I said loudly to her, at which she gave me a serious reaction and thereafter continued with her laughing.

"Enough now Devpriya. Get up Nihira." Said Ashwattama giving his hand to me.

"No need," I said overlooking his help once again, trying to get up from the ground by myself. I looked at Devpriya didi wishing for her to help me, but all she did was laugh. As I stood up and made an endeavour to get up I fluttered once again almost tumbling when I reached Ashwattama for help, as I grabbed his large muscular arms for support.

"Ouch-it hurts," I said holding his arm.

"Why do you have to fall so much? Can't you stand properly-?" He said in a harsh tone. Clasping my arms strongly and making me walk forcefully to the large gravel.

"Oh-ashwa-Ashwattama, it hurts." I cried out. He grabbed my hand tightly.

"Sit down here, and don't move. Until I'm back." He let out making me sit forcefully on the gravel. Devpriya didi stood there looking at both of us with a satisfactory response.

I felt a deep pain in my chest, water filling my eyes as I sat there quietly trying not to cry, a big gulp evolved in my throat, I was not able to utter a single word without crying at the moment. Devpriya didi came and sat beside me, with some empathy in her voice.

"Nihira, why do you always have to insult yourself-? You could have taken his help na." She said placing her hand on my leg. I didn't say a word, glancing away from her, a tear fell through my eyes and I immediately dabbed it away.

"Thank you for your concern," I said darting at her with assurance.

"Of course nihira, I'm always there to help you. Tell me now where did you get hurt." She said looking down at my leg. I instantly hide it behind my long skirt.