CHAPTER 18 : Rage

Ekalavya's face, once adorned with a smile, quickly lost its radiance. A wave of terror washed over him, causing him to once again fall to his knees, this time in complete disbelief. The words he had just heard were unimaginable, causing his heart to beat uncontrollably.

The conversation between Duryodhan and Ashwattama came to a halt as they too heard gurudev's words. A chill ran down my spine upon hearing them. Devpriya's jaw dropped in shock, leaving her speechless. Ekalavya's entire being was shattered. He struggled to find the right words, opening and closing his mouth in disbelief, gasping for air.

"I knew it, you won't be able to fulfill it son. Forget it." Gurudev's words were filled with harshness as he abruptly turned and made his way out of the cave. However, Ekalavya's sudden return to his senses halted him in his tracks. I stood there, observing both of them with a sense of confusion, deeply disappointed by Gurudev's actions. In that moment, all the respect I had for him vanished. It seemed that he had asked for such a gurudakshina because he favored his students, particularly Ashwattama and Arjun. He couldn't bear to see anyone else excel besides them. How could he, when he considered himself  mahaguru Dronacharya son of great rishi bharadwaj.

I found it impossible to remain silent; I felt compelled to express my opinions. This was not the first instance where he had insulted or belittled a student. I had witnessed him treating Karna in the same manner, and although I attempted to defend him, my efforts were futile. However, this time, I was determined to prevent a recurrence of such injustice. Ekalavya is still just a child, with his entire life ahead of him. How could he possibly surrender a part of his body to someone he barely knows? Furthermore, how can anyone be so heartless as to demand a child to give up such a vital aspect of their existence?

"How could you Guru Drona—?" I said in furry and disgust. Ekalavya, seated below the guru, glanced towards me, accompanied by Ashwattama, Arjun, Duryodhan, and Devpriya. The gurudev's gaze shifted from Ekalavya to me, revealing a mix of anger and disappointment.

"How could you just simply ask a child to give away his thumb gurudev?" I let out aggressively.

"Nihira you're too young to tell me what to do and what not." Gurudev's words were spoken with severity. Ashwattama glanced at both of us at the same time. Duryodhan wore a proud expression on his face, as if he was standing by my side, while Arjun appeared to be taken aback.

"How low will you stoop to prove your perfection gurudev—?" I let out.

"Nihira—" a loud sound rang in my ear, as Ashwattama shouted from the place he stood, the cave was vacant letting his voice to echo.

"No, Ashwattama let me speak." I replied.

"Mind your tongue nihira." Ashwattama, now slightly more composed, spoke with a deep and weighty voice. Gurudev maintained a profound expression on his face as he silently observed me. I cast a fiery glance at him, disregarding his gaze, and proceeded with my speech.

"Gurudev, this isnt the first time you let someone go in pain, only to teach your students and that too the ones from Kuru kingdom." I said.

"Nihira—" Arjun let out, moving his head to stop me from speaking.

"You insulted Karna too." I continued.

Gurudev glanced up at me, his eyes brimming with fury and disillusionment. He was on the brink of unleashing his anger, gazing at me with an intense expression. If eyes possessed the power to act, his would have ended my life in that very moment. Meanwhile, Ashwattama was taken aback upon hearing Karna's name. His eyes widened in astonishment and disbelief. He cast a glance downwards, breathing heavily.

"Nihira, enough—" spoke Gurudev.

"I'm just speaking the fact gurudev, which might haunt you because it's the truth you've been hiding from." I said giving them a faded smile.