CHAPTER 21 : Mathura

I stood amidst a sea of people, overwhelmed by profound sorrow. Despite being surrounded by a crowd, a sense of solitude enveloped me. Observing the students around me, their eyes filled with disappointment and shock, I appeared pale and fragile, akin to a solitary pillar.

"Devpriya-you must not deny your father's wish priya." Said Gurudev, He wore a deep expression on his face, showing genuine disappointment towards me and my habits of letting him down, although I believed I was doing what was right.

"But Gurudev, i wish to learn under you. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but learning from a great guru like you is a one in a million chance and i won't let that go, and I'm very good at dancing and Singing i must add." Let out Devpriya didi With an air of unwavering assurance resonating in her voice, which possessed a delightful and delicate quality, I observed Duryodhan stealing glances at her intermittently. His countenance was ablaze, and it seemed as though he yearned to express something, to divulge a secret to gurudev. Despite his attempts to interject, an invisible force hindered him from doing so.

"Whatever you desire-" Gurudev spoke calmly to her, then his gaze shifted as if he could read my thoughts or Duryodhan's. Meanwhile, Duryodhan was lost in deep contemplation, pondering something profound and serious.

"What is it putra Duryodhan? That is bothering you so much-" Gurudev was inquired out of curiosity, prompting everyone to direct their attention towards him. Dusassan found himself at a loss, unable to grasp what his older brother was contemplating, mirroring the confusion of the others. Ashwattama, as stoic as ever, stood by Gurudev like a pillar, his face devoid of emotion as he breathed heavily in between pauses.

"G-Gurudev, it's-actually....I've heard a lot about Rajkumar Balram and his knowledge in mace, i really want to learn from him..." He expressed his hesitation to Guru Drona. The silence permeated the surroundings, as a gentle breeze lazily swept through, accompanied by the incessant cooing of pigeons that filled the void. The afternoon sun caressed like a blazing fire, while leaves sporadically descended to the ground, serving as a reminder of the impending arrival of winter.

"Balram is really a very great mace bearer- you must learn from him. But i believe everything has a time, and this isn't the time for you to learn mace son." Said Gurudev.

"But why Gurudev-" he questioned perplexed, and in an instant his face began fumming as if he was about to erupt, his eyes were narrow and his face was stubbornly changing. Dussassan on his right, too was getting angry for no reason.

"Putra Duryodhan, i believe this is the time to learn the basic needs as a yuvraj and then further study whatever you desire to-" Gurudev spoke in a serene manner, pausing thoughtfully as he carefully selected his words. It was evident to everyone in the ashram that convincing Duryodhan, known for his stubbornness, would require patience and precision.

"Pitashree is right mitra- you have ample time to pursue your studies in mace-" Before Ashwattama could finish his sentence, Duryodhan abruptly interrupted him and commenced speaking, or rather, started barking.

"But this is the right age to learn, isn't it-?" he questioned.

"Mitra think about it-you'd be the yuvraj and then you will have ample amount of time to do whatever excites you, not just now" Ashwattama advanced, placing his hands on Duryodhan's shoulders, trying to make him realize that it was not the appropriate moment for him to leave.

"Guru Drona, this is truly my wish to seek education from him-please allow me, Gurudev." Duryodhan pleaded desperately, clasping his hands together in front of Gurudev, his eyes filled with hope and longing. In response, Gurudev bestowed upon him a serene smile and nodded in affirmation.