CHAPTER 23 : Subhadra

"How do you know? Did he tell you so?"  I inquired with interest, feeling my heart race and my body tremble as the temperature started to decrease. The darkness enveloped us, with the sun having set long ago. The lanterns lining the riverbanks were illuminated. The birds' chirping was drowned out by the night's darkness, yet I remained tranquil and peaceful. A chilly breeze rose from the river, causing me to shiver slightly.

Duryodhan maintained silence, appearing pensive, his face concealed in the shadows as the dimly lit lanterns around the ghats partially revealed his visage.

"Come on, Duryodhan, I can tell something's on your mind. What's going on?" I asked curiously, walking up to him when the jingling sound of my anklets filled the air around us.

"I have my sources--" As he exhaled, I felt puzzled. This man had really started to irritate me, so I shot him an irritated look, relaxing my facial muscles and arching my eyebrows in his direction.

"Sources? What sources--"

"Let's just say I have ways of finding things out." He spoke.

"you're not going to tell me?" I yelled at him, yet he remained composed. My heart was a whirlpool of emotions, yearning to understand him. He professed his love for me, but the connection between us had faded. Each moment without him felt like an eternity. How can I possibly let go? I am aware he lacks the courage to confront his father about us, but we still have time. Two more years until the gurukul comes to a close.

"Not yet, Nihira. Trust me, there are things in motion that you're not aware of--"

"Why are you keeping secrets from me, Duryodhan--" i said sitting again beside him, somehwere or the other i felt safer beside him, he was always pointed out as cruel, rude, bad from Nakul and Sehdev but he genuinely wasnt that bad.

Duryodhan, smirked as he began speaking "Sometimes, it's best to let things unfold on their own--

"Fine, keep your secrets." I said to him, as i threw a stone into the deep shiny water. That drowned inside the cold water with an high intensity, but there was something more intense than that, the longing i had to see Ashwattama, did Universe did it on purpose to seperete us both when we both needed each other's love--?

. . .

Months had gone by since my conversation with Duryodhan. Every day, we would meet at the Yamuna Ghat and share our frustrations about how busy our days had been. Duryodhan would often express his desire to learn mace fighting from Balrama, solely to compete with Bheem. Sometimes, I couldn't help but be surprised by the immense hatred he harbored towards the Pandava brothers. After all, they were kind, polite, and gentle. I would often see them playing and laughing together at the ashram, radiating positive energy and a peaceful aura. It puzzled me why Duryodhan held such a deep grudge against them, especially considering he was barely nineteen years old.

Duryodhan's strong emotions towards them were primarily driven by his desire for the throne of Hastinapur. He openly expressed his ambition to become the next Yuvraj. However, as per the rules, Yudhistira, being the elder, had the rightful claim to the throne. This fact greatly angered Duryodhan. I have been familiar with this story since my days in Kaliyuga.

Duryodhan's eyes would always sparkle and glow whenever he spoke about Hastinapur. He had a deep affection for the palace and the city. He even mentioned that he was familiar with every corner of the city and offered to take me there someday. I also longed to visit that enchanting city, as it seemed like a place straight out of a fairytale.

Duryodhan also mentioned his uncle, Shakuni, who was exceptionally skilled at playing dice. He described him as clever and someone who couldn't be easily fooled. Initially, I was apprehensive about meeting him, but then I realized that if I wanted to visit Hastinapur, I would have to face him. After all, our studies were coming to an end, and it would soon be time for our marriage. Devpriya didi would be the first one to get married, and she would surely have a grand swayamvar where kings and princes would be invited.