CHAPTER 20 : The Letter

Dear Pitashri,

I am writing this letter because I had no other choice, it is necessary that you know where you have sent me and Devpriya didi. This ashram Pitshari, I hate it because this place is filled with arrogance and partiality, I don't wish to be here anymore. Please call us back.

                                       Your daughter,
                                                    Nihira

I reread at the letter I wrote to inform Pitashri about what has been going on here, before rolling and tying the parchment with a thread and stood up steadily going out. I knew it was difficult to send the letter to Kambhoj without being caught and I was scared as all the students were prohibited from having any kind of contact with their families. But it was necessary now.

I saw the bird sitting on the fence, which Gurudev and Ashwathama had been using as a messenger and I strode towards it. Bitterness from last night clouded me as I was forced to remember seeing that pigeon which Ashwathama used to stroke so gently and feed him as well. Not many people knew but he actually loved animals way more than he showed.

I sighed indignantly, I don't want to think about him at all, not after the way he talked to me so humiliatingly yesterday and not to forget how he clearly implied that I was nothing to him and my opinions didnt matter at all. I turned back to pigeon reaching forward to tie the parchment to it leg before a harsh voice startled me from behind.

"What are you doing, Nihira?" It was Gurudev as I turned around to see he was coming towards me furiously followed by his son, Devpriya didi and Duryodhan. Oh no.

I froze on spot as Gurudev stood in front of me glaring and to be honest now I was scared again when he spoke, "Answer me!"

I resisted the urge to shudder at his harsh voice while the parchment crumpled in my fist and I stared down unable to meet his indignant gaze, "I-I Gurudev—"

"Who were you sending that letter to?" Gurudev asked again causing me to look up but before him my gaze met Ashwathama's who held a similar expression as that of his father.

"Devipriya, get that letter to me." Gurudev commanded and I went pale as my heart hammered mercilessly against my chest now that I could hear my own heartbeat echo in my chest. Devpriya didi marched towards me and in a second she snatched the letter from my grip handing it to Gurudev as he began reading.

I knew I was done for. Drowning in horror as I watched Gurudev's expression change from fury to astonishment to more fury. I gulped, I know I didn't have any reasons to be scared but still I was terrified to the core. Once Gurudev was finished reading he looked up at me one last time before storming away, leaving everyone around him perplexed. 

"What did you write in that letter, Nihira? Why was Gurudev so angry?" Devipriya didi asked, nearing me while both Duryodhan and Ashwathama held the same questioning looks. I tore my gaze away from Ashwathama as today even his presence felt highly unbearable and I turned to leave.

The rest of the day passed while I sat in the girl's shared room and what was surprising was that I wasn't even asked to join the classes. Ofcourse, after reading my letter Gurudev must have wanted me out of his classes but still it was unbelievable that he let me away without any punishments.

Tushti came in the room at night bringing in food furtively as I didn't want to go out at all today and was a little hurt as well because Devpriya Didi didn't even cared to check upon me, if I ate anything or not. It was Tushti who had sneaked in food and went to sleep thanking her, before Devpriya Didi would come in the room.