CHAPTER 22 : Yamuna

*12 months later*

         Somewhere in Mathura

In a dimly lit, cold chamber, within a narrow passageway, the echoes of clashing swords reverberated loudly. The room was filled with an array of weapons and armor, as Nihira engaged in a heated battle with another girl of similar age. With a swift motion, the girl flipped her sword and launched a powerful attack towards Nihira. In response, Nihira countered with even more ferocity, resulting in a resounding clash that filled the room. Pushing each other back with all their might, the competition between them was intense. It was impossible to determine who emerged victorious, as both displayed exceptional skill in swordsmanship.

Upon being attacked by the girl for a second time, Nihira swiftly turned her sword upside down in order to break free. Just as she was preparing to retaliate, the sound of approaching footsteps caught her attention.

Nihira glanced at her, silently inquiring if they should proceed, to which she simply nodded. Without warning, Nihira forcefully pushed her.

"Satark rahe subhadre--"

A voice intruped both of them, as they both paid attention to the souce of the voice. A man indeed older than both of them stood at the gate watching them, he was stunned at their act. It was evident through his eyes as they were panicking and shocked. He had large muscular arms and a very firm body. He had emeralds green eyes, which when met with sunlight looked like an enchanting forest, and he had pitch black curly hair which were loosely falling till his shoulder.

"Shama kare Bhrata Balrama-" Subhada suddenly rested her sword on the nearby wooden table. Her expression tensed as she began to move backwards. Her eyes showed a certain hesitation, while Balrama stood firm like a pillar, calm and composed. He did not seem to be trying to frighten her little sister.

"Subhadre, and nihira I've told you multiple times not to practice swording without me or Kahna." With a composed demeanor, he approached the table and removed the swords we had been battling with.

"But Bhrata Balrama, we've almost learnt it." I said giving away my sword to him.

"There's nothing in this world, you can learn absolutely. No matter how much you try to absorb anything, something will eventually be left." He said giving both of us a serene smile, as he exited the chamber escorting us to our palace.

                           .   .   .

Subhadra, with her face covered by an orange cloth, decisively unveiled it, revealing her hair cascading down, her kajal-smudged eyes, and her strained red lips. Her fair complexion contrasted sharply with Krishna's dark skin. Her almond-shaped eyes and the mole beneath her lips added to her immense beauty.

Subhadra and I had formed a strong bond during our time in Mathura. We would dedicate our days to both learning and engaging in light-hearted conversations. Her charisma and lively nature made her truly captivating. The simplest of things would ignite her excitement, and she found solace beneath the Jamun tree in the garden. Witnessing the breathtaking sunsets at the ghats of river Yamuna was another cherished pastime of hers. Just like her mischievous brother Krishna, she also had a fondness for makkhan, even though he would often sneakily snatch it away from her.

In Mathura, we received comprehensive education in various artistic skills such as drawing, painting, sewing, and ground decoration. Surprisingly, Krishna also imparted knowledge on statecraft and warcraft to us. However, it felt quite strange considering that women during this era were not provided with proper education and were married off at a young age. The women in the palace advised us to focus on learning feminine manners and pleasing our husbands instead of involving ourselves in political matters. They were confined by the oppressive walls of a patriarchal society, and the idea of elevating women to a higher status was not even considered.