~١٤~

NAEEM.
Algiers, Algeria.

Ramadan is over and my brother Aamir is now engaged. I've gotten a new job Alhamdulilah, I can't say I like being a dentist but Alhamdulilah it gives me steady income so it's fine. I step into the house after an exhausting day at work. It's been three weeks of doing the same thing.

"Mama I'm home" I announce putting on my flip flops. "Come in Naeem I made your favorite dish for dinner" she yells back from the kitchen. "Thank you Mama" I say kissing her on the forehead before taking my plate upstairs with me.

After lunch I take a shower and walk down to the mosque to pray Asr' I come home and meet Abi and Mama in the sitting room taking coffee "Salam Abi" I say taking a seat, "when did you get home?" He asks "not long ago" I say.

"We need to talk son, I know I said I'd give you time and we'd stop pressing you to agree to meet a few girls but your mother found this girl and mashaa Allah she's a really good girl just meet her once if you don't think she's the one then it's fine" Abi says.

I don't want to say no and truly I can't keep going on like this "ok Abi I'll meet with her in shaa Allah" I agree "May Allah bless you abni" he prays. "Ameen" me and Mama chorus.

||~•~||

It's Friday and as agreed I come home from work to meet Maryam and Mama in the kitchen making lunch as they await the arrival of the guests. I head upstairs and take a shower and put on a fresh set of clothes before coming downstairs.

An hour later the whole house looks presentable and there's a knock on the door. They're here, time to get this over with. "Assalamu Alaikum" they say as they come into the house. We exchange greetings while the women exchange hugs.

"Come, lunch is ready, I'm sure you all must be starving" Maryam says, we all move to the dinning for lunch the parents engage in small talk as we eat. I don't know which is which among the two sisters so I just keep shut.

After lunch we go back to the sitting room for proper introductions. "Abni this is Zaina, zaina this is Naeem" Mama says introducing us to each other "Assalamu Alaikum" I say and she responds with a salam of her own.

"We should allow them to talk don't you think" Maryam suggests and they all agree so I take her to the tiny sitting area where Abi loves to seat and take his tea.

Once we're sitting,I think of what to say but I don't know so I go with "nice to meet you my mom already told you my name so.." I chuckle rubbing my neck. "Nice to meet you too, you have a beautiful house by the way" she says.

She isn't as tall as Aman or the life to her voice when she talks. Wait, why I'm I comparing her to Aman? This isn't good. Nope I need to talk to Abubakr later to ask for some advice.
We sit for ten more minutes without anyone saying anything "I think we should go back we aren't supposed to be here for so long" I announce standing up.
"Oh yeah" she says I walk in front of her and head back to the sitting room. I say my goodbyes and make up an excuse to leave the house and leave as soon as possible.

"Assalamu Alaikum man" Abubakr yells into the phone as soon as he picks up "Wa'alaikumus salam, how are you doing?" I chuckle "fine alhamdulilah, it's been two minutes where have you been man?" I joke "wallah I've been busy with work that's why but I'll come see you soon in shaa Allah" I say.

"So what's going on" he asks "uhm I have a question for you" I say rubbing the back of my neck. "Well my mum set me up to meet this girl and I couldn't even say anything and when she did say something I sort of compared her to another girl" I explain.

"No way Naeem, who's the girl?" He semi yells into the phone "bro don't make it look like I'm in a haram relationship, I can count how many times I met the girl and I don't like how this happened" I lament.

"Having a person in mind doesn't mean the end of the world you know, talk to your parents or someone you feel comfortable with about her and if she's not married who knows you can go meet her and see where things go in shaa Allah" he comforts.

"It's not that easy" I sigh "yes it is" he argues "you better do something about it before it grows into something more or stop thinking about her" he says.
"It's complicated" I say. "Then do uncomplicate it for me" he says.

"Well i met her during this ramadan and I don't think we've ever had a proper conversation and she's my friends younger sister" I explain "can I know her name" he asks "you won't tell anyone" I say "well, it depends" he says and i can't almost swear I hear him smiling.

"Fine, it's Aman" I drop the bomb and close my eyes waiting for an explosion. "That's amazing, I can talk to Aamir for you if you want" he says. "No, please don't" I'm quick to say. "But why Aamir is very understanding and he'll talk to his parents and Aman on your behalf even before you come into the picture and who wouldn't want you as an in-law Naeem, you're a really good guy you know" he argues.

"I don't know Abubakr doesn't it make things weird" I say adjusting my footing. "You liking his sister and hiding it from him is what is weird" he says. "When you put it like that.." I say.

"Look, I'll talk to Aamir and get back to you, whatever his response is I'll tell you and then it's up to you to take things forward" he says. "Jazakallahu khairan man" I smile I'm really grateful for a friend like him. "Wa iyyak, talk to you later" he says and ends the call.

I should feel lighter now that I've spoken to someone but I feel like I'm carrying a boulder on my back. I cross the road and continue my walk by home I hope the guests are gone by now.

Hi lovelies,
Longest chapter so far
So things are finally progressing, who's loving it cuz I am. See y'all and don't forget to vote comment and share. Love you all🫂.