Chapter 16

Vellian descended the stairs and spotted Astelle standing at the end of the corridor. She appeared to be engaged in conversation with one of the emperor's servants.

Although he could only see her from the side at this distance, her typically calm and elegant demeanor seemed unusual. Her complexion was pallid and unsettling.

Approaching her in surprise, Vellian called out, "Lady Astelle?"

Astelle turned to face him with a slight delay, her expression returning to its usual composure. She smiled calmly at Vellian.

"Oh, Count. Nice to see you again."

Upon closer inspection, her face appeared unchanged-not unusually pale or disconcerting.

'Did I misinterpret something?" Vellian wondered silently.'

He turned his attention to the servant who quickly provided an explanation of the situation.

"His Majesty took Young Master Theor to the hunting lodge, and I was just discussing it with Lady Astelle."

"What?"

Vellian was bewildered. The hunting lodge was situated in a remote location deep within the forest. It was constructed for the emperor's use in case he couldn't return to the castle during a hunt.

It didn't seem like a suitable place to bring a child, especially considering Kaizen's general indifference towards children.

"Why would he do something so unexpected?" Vellian wondered.

Feeling perplexed, Vellian examined Astelle, who stood in silence, and a realization dawned on him.

'Could it be because of her?' he thought.

Astelle, still standing quietly, posed a straightforward question to Vellian.

"Count, how long does it take to reach the hunting lodge from here?"

"If you ride a horse as quickly as possible, you can get there in about an hour."

Astelle knew she had to act quickly if she wanted to reach the hunting lodge in time. The one-hour journey was already pressing, and the medicine's effectiveness was a ticking clock. Her fingertips trembled with anxiety, but she managed to conceal her unease under the long cuffs of her gown as she turned back to face Vellian.

Maintaining her composure was essential, especially in front of this observant man. Astelle worked hard to maintain her calm exterior, reminding herself not to panic and that the full extent of the situation remained unknown.

With an unwavering smile, she calmly continued her explanation. "As I mentioned earlier, the child recently suffered from a severe bout of flu..." She emphasized the importance of timely medication. "So, I brought along a box of pills."

Vellian nodded in recollection. It was common for young children to require supplements or nutritional pills for extended periods after an illness. Astelle's impromptu excuse was plausible, given the circumstances.

Creating an excuse had been a challenge, but apart from that, there seemed to be no other justification for her sudden decision to find the child.

"I'm not in a hurry, but can I accompany and administer the medicine?" Astelle asked, prompting a hint of surprise in Vellian's expression. Outside, the threat of rain hung in the air.

Considering the circumstances, her decision to venture to the hunting lodge to provide the child with medicine didn't appear to be an extravagant display of devotion. Vellian couldn't help but speculate on her motives. Did she doubt the emperor's ability to care for the child? Or was there a deeper fear of losing him?