Chapter 61

Astelle understood the reason behind her grandfather's words. Her mother had given birth to Fritz, and the process had weakened her to the point where she could no longer bear children. Despite the doctor's warnings against having more children, her father, the Duke, had insisted that her mother give birth to Astelle.

"Do your duty, for I need a daughter to become the Empress," he had declared. It was said that her mother had been tormented daily until Astelle was born. The Marquis had advised against the birth, but her mother had wanted to bring the child in her womb into the world.

Tragically, her mother passed away shortly after Astelle's birth due to complications. The Duke had always told Astelle that her mother's death was her fault, and that she must strive to become an Empress to ensure her mother's sacrifice was not in vain.

Astelle had followed her father's instructions, burdened by the guilt she felt over her mother's death. Despite losing his daughter, her maternal grandfather harbored no resentment towards Astelle.

Observing the escalating tension, Astelle intervened, addressing her grandfather. "Grandpa, don't waste your time with him. Go to Theor. He's waiting for me alone under the parlor table." Astelle was concerned that Theor might wander in while waiting for her.

Understanding Astelle's intentions, the Marquis quickly turned to leave. "Indeed, there's no point in engaging with him," he agreed.

As the Marquis exited, the Duke of Reston, now alone with Astelle, furrowed his brow and asked, "Who is Theor?"

Astelle responded with a hint of disbelief, "After all that's been said, you don't even know his name? Theor is the name of Sigmund's son."

The Duke of Reston clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Why should I bother to know the name of a child of such low birth?" he retorted.

Astelle, unfazed, responded, "Once you've said all you need to say, return the late Empress Dowager's belongings and return to the mansion. Otherwise, I'll have the attendants escort you out." It wasn't an empty threat; Astelle was genuinely prepared to have him removed.

Perhaps sensing the seriousness in Astelle's demeanor, the Duke finally relented, raising his hands in surrender.

"I've brought the belongings here. They're nothing more than trinkets. I'll leave them here, and you can take them to the countryside or do whatever you wish with them." He then signaled the servants he had brought with him.

Two servants entered the room, carrying large boxes. Astelle questioned, "Is this everything?"

"Do you suspect I've hidden some?" the Duke retorted.

Astelle responded, "Given your nature, it wouldn't be surprising."

The Duke looked taken aback. "You've changed a lot," he observed.

Kaizen had made a similar comment. Did they expect her to remain the same after six years? How could she have experienced so much and not changed?

Just as Astelle was about to open the box, a maid from the mansion entered the room. "A gift has arrived for Lady Astelle," she announced.

"A gift? Who sent it?" Astelle asked, wondering if Kaizen had sent something else. She had left all the dresses and jewelry that Kaizen had gifted her untouched in Dentsu Castle.

However, the maid mentioned a completely different name. "It's a gift from Count Ecklen to Lady Astelle."

"Ecklen? The Count of Ecklen? Why would he send a gift?" The Duke's voice rose in surprise and anger at the mention of Ecklen's name.

Astelle wondered if her father had a strained relationship with Ecklen. After all, Count Ecklen was a trusted ally of Kaizen and had become the Minister of the Military. It was unlikely that he would be on good terms with her father, who had lost his power in a struggle against Kaizen.