Chapter 19

"Lady Astelle has arrived," Vellian contemplated, but before he could dwell on it further, the attendant entered and made the announcement. The door swung open, revealing Astelle as she gracefully entered the study.

Upon her entrance, Kaizen, who had just stepped into the room, unintentionally shifted his gaze towards the door, his eyes locking onto Astelle. Standing there before them was a transformed Astelle, almost unrecognizable at first glance.

Instead of her usual cotton dress, she was adorned in a green silk gown, a stark departure from her typical oversized attire. It was a vintage dress, out of sync with contemporary fashion, yet its timeless design complemented Astelle's refined presence perfectly.

Her light blonde hair, which she usually wore loosely or tied back, was now elegantly gathered and secured with a butterfly-shaped comb pin.

A pale green butterfly rested gently on her slightly shimmering platinum locks, adding an air of elegance. She looked like a subject from an old portrait, a vision of grace and beauty.

Astelle had always possessed a natural attractiveness, with delicate features and a slender figure. However, her beauty had never appeared as captivating as it did now.

In the past, Astelle had often worn more luxurious and elegant attire, but Kaizen from those days had never truly seen her in this light.

'Was she always like this?' he wondered silently.

Vellian, too, was taken aback by the transformation and momentarily lost in thought. He belatedly snapped back to reality and greeted Astelle with a courteous nod.

"Lady Astelle."

Astelle, unfazed by the attention she garnered, gracefully moved further into the room. Her earlier drenched state had been remedied by a refreshing bath provided by the servants.

However, a new dilemma arose-she had no dry clothes to change into. Rewearing her wet attire was out of the question.

Sending someone to the castle to fetch fresh clothes was also not an option. This remote hunting lodge had an abundance of attire for knights and nobles but sorely lacked in women's clothing.

It was indeed an isolated place, with not even a single maid in its employ. All the labor here was performed by servants and attendants.

"These must all be dresses belonging to ladies who've been here before," Astelle surmised as the servant presented her with three dress options.

The first choice was a striking red velvet evening gown, designed to accentuate the chest and adorned with intricate gold embroidery. It was the sort of extravagant dress one would reserve for a grand ball.

The second option was even less appealing. It consisted of a delicate, pearl-colored muslin dress, so sheer that the undergarments were visible through the fabric.

These dresses appeared to be relics of a bygone era, likely left behind by a noblewoman who had accompanied the former emperor on his visit to this remote lodge.

Kaizen's father, a true gentleman, had never taken a lover or a mistress. However, Kaizen's grandfather, Emperor Gilbert, had been more open about his feelings. Astelle couldn't help but think, 'It must be the clothes that his woman came to and left behind,' as she considered the dresses before her.

Among the three options, the third dress seemed the most suitable and practical. It was a simple yet elegant choice, made from light and soft silk that gave it a luxurious sheen. The dress featured a tidy design with dark green and gold accents at the hem and cuffs. It fit Astelle well, both in size and style. She decided against letting her hair hang loose and instead pinned it neatly at the vanity table.