Chapter 23

White steam billowed from the wooden bathtub, filling the bathroom with warmth and moisture. The bath itself was made of grayish-white stone and was filled with hot water from which warm steam gently rose. The water carried a subtle hint of medicinal herbs, as it had been infused with an herbal decoction meant to soothe the mind.

Theor, wrapped in a towel, wasted no time in splashing into the warm bathwater and began playing with the water. Astelle approached him.

"Do you enjoy taking baths?"

Theor responded with enthusiasm, "Yes, it's nice and warm."

Astelle smiled. "Well, it's time for your medicine now. Let's take it before you soak in the bath." She reached behind a hairpin, tucked in her hair, and carefully retrieved a small glass bottle of blue potion from her platinum-colored locks.

As Astelle held the glass bottle in her hand, she couldn't help but think...

'If I hadn't noticed this quickly, I might have been caught.'

She vividly remembered the moment when the maid handed her the teacup, and she had been fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of the maid's fingertips.

In that brief moment, Astelle had seen the telltale signs of the pharmacist Gretel, who had helped her before. The maid's fingers were wrinkled, just like Gretel's, and there was a tiny speck of dark blue dirt on the tip of her fingernail. Astelle had seen similar stains on Gretel's fingers in the past.

Gretel had once explained, "Since I handle and prepare medicinal herbs every day, the herbal juices tend to seep into my nails, and they're not easy to remove." This was a habit of someone who worked extensively with herbs and plants, especially those who had to be careful about handling dangerous ones.

Astelle's thoughts continued to race. She considered the implications of this discovery.

'Even though the castle occasionally hired villagers temporarily due to a labor shortage, it would be highly unlikely for a farmer who worked with vegetables to end up as a maid in the emperor's castle.'

She realized that this revelation was another significant clue in the unfolding mystery.

Astelle observed the silver plum blossoms in the dried-up garden, noting the growing fever in the area. Strangely, there were still no fever patients in this village, which was highly unusual during an outbreak. There was only one logical explanation for this absence of patients in such an underdeveloped rural area during an illness outbreak.

Astelle realized, "It means there must be a pharmacist in this town." She suspected that the woman who had infiltrated her household disguised as a maid was, in fact, the local pharmacist. This theory made sense given the circumstances.

The woman had been assigned to inspect Astelle's luggage bag and medicine box, hence the need for her disguise. Furthermore, she had been given a room with a separate bathroom, and only one elderly maid had been sent to assist her.

Astelle understood that the private bathroom would provide an opportunity for the supposed pharmacist to inspect her belongings discreetly.

'She did her best,' recognizing the subtlety of the plan. The decision to bathe together would facilitate a more thorough inspection of their luggage and clothes while they were indisposed, as they would have to remove all their clothing to enter the bath.

Astelle's thoughts then turned to the identity of the person behind this scheme. Marianne, who had previously searched Astelle's medicine box, was currently imprisoned in Maern Castle's prison. The only individual within the emperor's party who could issue such orders was Vellian, the emperor's secretary.