Chapter 66

Astelle was stunned, realizing Fritz likely suspected Theor's true lineage from the start, perhaps due to the fruit incident. She struggled to find words, feeling overwhelmed.

"Brother... I..." Astelle began but couldn't continue, feeling suffocated.

Fritz gently took her hand. "Astelle, I will help you. Trust this brother of yours."

Astelle was at a loss for words. She didn't know what to say.

Astelle pondered how much her brother truly knew. Was it merely about Theor being her son or did he suspect that Theor was also Kaizen's child? Her next steps depended on his knowledge.

"Brother, I..." Astelle began, but their conversation was interrupted by a sharp voice.

"Astelle."

Both siblings turned to see Kaizen standing at the door.

• 🍁 •

Kaizen approached the siblings, each step feeling like a heavy weight on Astelle's chest. She wondered if he had heard their conversation and what his thoughts might be. As he halted a step away, his gaze, though cold, seemed to soften a bit as it fixated on Astelle.

His gaze fixed on Fritz's hand clasping Astelle's wrist.

"What's happening here?" Kaizen's voice cut through the tension.

Fritz turned to Astelle, puzzled. Her response, composed and unfaltering, sounded like her usual self. "We were discussing our mother's annual charity ball, a family tradition at this time of year."

"Your mother's ball?" Kaizen probed further, seeking clarity.

"Yes, my mother always hosts a charity ball around this time every year. It's a cherished tradition in our family, so naturally, I was discussing it with my brother," Astelle calmly explained, her gaze now directed downwards.

In that moment, an unexpected recollection surfaced, prompting her explanation. It was as if the memory of dancing with Kaizen at the ball in Dentsu Castle had suddenly surged within her.

Looking at Kaizen's face, she found herself conjuring up an excuse, the image of the ball flashing vividly in her mind.

It was peculiar how that particular memory emerged at that precise instant. Perhaps it was the profound impact of that dance with Kaizen that made the excuse of a ball the first thing to spring to mind.

Fritz gently released Astelle's wrist and offered a respectful bow to Kaizen. "Yes, I intended to assist my sister... There were differing perspectives, so we engaged in a discussion for a while."

Astelle willed her nervously trembling heart to calm down, hoping desperately for Kaizen to believe. Thankfully, he didn't appear suspicious.

"I understand," Kaizen responded, a faint smile gracing his lips.

"That's a wonderful tradition. I wasn't aware of it. Why quarrel over something so positive? Siblings should unite," Fritz remarked, stealing a glance at Astelle.

'I think it worked out.'

"I apologize, Your Majesty. It's due to my inadequacy as a brother," Fritz expressed regretfully.

Kaizen turned to Astelle, who stood silent.

"And Theor?" Kaizen inquired.

"Thanks to Your Majesty, he's made significant progress," Astelle replied, maintaining her usual smile. "I appreciate the puppet shows and toys you sent for him. He truly enjoyed them."

"I'm glad to hear that," Kaizen responded, a satisfied smile gracing his features.

Kaizen wore a friendly smile, yet his gaze toward Astelle remained as icy as ever.