Chapter 26

Lyndon, wearing a blank expression, slowly began to speak. "You truly possess a profound consideration, Lady Astelle."

"Pardon?" Astelle responded, surprised by Lyndon's unexpected compliment.

Bowing his head slightly, Lyndon continued, "I was deeply impressed by your thoughtfulness in considering the circumstances of the local farmers and taking care of our situations."

Astelle was taken aback. Her initial intention was simply to create a medicine that changed eye color, nothing more. Reflecting on the moment, the middle-aged doctor she'd met for the first time regarded her with a mix of admiration and surprise. Even Vellian seemed slightly astonished, though not everyone was equally impressed.

Kaizen, who had been listening silently, interjected, "So you're planning to stay here?"

"Yes," Astelle affirmed.

"What about the child?" Kaizen pressed further.

She turned to the doctor, asking, "Would it be alright to place Theor in the room across the corridor?"

"I believe it should be fine. The condition is not contagious unless a fever develops due to worsening symptoms," confirmed the doctor, providing the reassurance she sought.

"Did you hear that, Theor? You'll be sleeping in the next room tonight. Is that alright?" she asked her son.

"Yeah, I'll sleep with Blin in the new room!" Theor responded, surprisingly agreeable.

Remembering that Theor often sought comfort in listening to old stories and falling asleep in her grandfather's room, Astelle was confident Kaizen wouldn't object. Despite his displeasure, Kaizen reluctantly consented, "Okay. Do as you wish."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," she responded quickly, avoiding any further confrontation.

Meanwhile, Vellian observed Astelle with interest as she turned her attention back to him and, almost belatedly, asked, "Oh, it seems a pharmacist arrived a while ago. Can I go and acquire some herbs from her?"

At the mention of the pharmacist, Vellian's face visibly paled.

"Has the pharmacist visited here?" Kaizen, entirely unaware of the situation, turned to Astelle with a peculiar expression.

"Yes, that elderly pharmacist," Astelle replied, smiling as she noticed the visible color drain from Vellian's face.

Their eyes met, and Vellian quickly shook his head, making a silent plea not to disclose the matter to Kaizen. Astelle understood his embarrassment; he must have acted without the emperor's consent. Kaizen would likely be dissatisfied with his unilateral actions.

However, Astelle found it hard to sympathize. Vellian had always observed her with keen interest, similar to watching a captivating play. He seemed to relish treating people like puppets in a grand show. Yet now, he appeared pale, resembling an intrigued audience member who had accidentally stumbled onto the theater stage.

Turning to Kaizen calmly, Astelle explained, "Ah, the pharmacist previously added beneficial herbs to the bathwater. Since she cultivates medicinal herbs, I wish to acquire some from her."

"Very well, do as you please," Kaizen allowed, though he had a condition. "But you mustn't go alone. Take a knight as a guide and for protection."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. Then..." Astelle expressed her gratitude before turning back to Kaizen. She then focused on Vellian, who appeared tense.

"If it's agreeable, I'd like to ask Sir Vellian to guide me," she requested.

Kaizen regarded Vellian with a puzzled expression. "Why?"

"I have something I wish to discuss with him," Astelle replied, keeping her tone vague.

"What is it that you need to speak about?" Kaizen questioned further.

"It's a personal matter. Sir Vellian, are you okay about this?" Astelle asked him directly.

"Oh, yes. Absolutely," Vellian confirmed, albeit tensely.

Astelle smiled casually. "Then, please prepare quickly."

After a while, Astelle strolled down the path towards the rear entrance of the castle, a small basket in hand. Checking the tools in her basket, she confirmed the presence of tiny pruning shears for trimming small seedlings and branches.

Walking a step behind, Vellian followed, his expression riddled with unease. "May I ask why you requested my guidance?" he asked tentatively.

Astelle, casually examining the contents of her basket, replied, "You had the pharmacist pose as a maid, inspecting my belongings and medicine box. She even directed me to a public bath and checked my clothes."

Vellian was caught off guard and hesitated, attempting to make excuses, but eventually surrendered. "How did you find out?"

"Anyone seeing the maid would recognize her as a pharmacist," Astelle responded, not feeling the need for further explanation.

Doubtful, Vellian asked, "Before, when Lady Marianne opened the medicine box, you noticed a slight discrepancy in the position of the medicine bottle. I sensed it then, but Lady Astelle has a keen eye. It's a bit... intimidating."

Astelle maintained her smile. "I'll take it as a compliment."

"I apologize, but I was concerned about the previous incident. I asked the pharmacist to check if there was any illness in the child. It wasn't meant maliciously," Vellian explained, not harboring ill intentions. He merely sought an opportunity to examine Astelle's medicines and resolve his suspicions.

Astelle responded coolly but with a smile. "As I mentioned earlier, the child is delicate and requires timely nutrition. His Majesty the Emperor took him to the hunting lodge in heavy rain without explanation, leaving me no choice but to follow. I found it rather peculiar."

"Ah, I understand now. It was a misunderstanding," Vellian admitted, bowing his head. Though he might not have been deeply remorseful, he seemed drained.

Astelle asked further, "Why didn't you inform His Majesty?"

"I believe Sir Vellian would face consequences if His Majesty knew," Astelle added.

"Yes, indeed," he agreed honestly. The emperor held great concern for Astelle, and revealing this fruitless endeavor to his closest aide would likely provoke his anger. Nonetheless, Vellian's motivation came from his desire to ensure Theor's well-being.