Chapter 42

Tension lingered in the air as Astelle recounted the situation to her grandfather, entering the room with Theor by her side. The young boy lay on the bed, clutching Blin close, finding comfort in the faithful companion.

Perching herself at the edge of the bed, Astelle gently patted Theor's back, attempting to ease his surprise.

"Theor, were you startled?" she asked softly.

"Mhm... but it's okay now. Blin helped me, and I managed to escape," Theor replied, his small arms still wrapped around the furry friend.

Acknowledging Blin's role, Astelle reached out, affectionately patting the dog, who lay quietly beside Theor.

"Thank you, Blin," she expressed her gratitude, prompting a grateful lick from the loyal companion.

Turning his attention to Astelle, Theor remembered something important.

"Oh! And His Majesty saved me," he chimed in excitedly.

"Did he?" Astelle's response was measured, though her heart softened at the child's innocent admiration for the emperor.

A mixture of emotions surged within her, and Astelle tenderly kissed Theor's forehead, trying to comfort him.

"Let's take a break, freshen up, and have dinner. If there's anything you want to eat, just let me know. You can have whatever you desire tonight. I'll have our chef prepare it for you," she offered warmly.

"Really?" Theor's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Mhm," Astelle affirmed, assuring him with a nod.

Anticipating that Theor might prefer dinner in his room due to the surprise, a knock interrupted their conversation.

—Knock, knock.

The door opened, revealing the emperor's attendant.

"Lady Astelle, His Majesty the Emperor has sent a gift," the attendant announced.

"A gift?" Astelle echoed, surprised by the unexpected gesture.

At the mention of a 'gift,' Theor perked up, eagerly taking a seat. Following the attendant's cue, servants carrying gift boxes made their way into the room.

"His Majesty requested these be given to the Young Master," the attendant explained, presenting the assortment of gifts.

The boxes revealed an array of toys—a collection that included lifelike dolls, intricately crafted dollhouses, and finely carved wooden carriages. Another box contained an assortment of treats—glass jars filled with an assortment of candies, cookies, sweet caramels, and colorful pickles. The sheer sight of these sweets invoked a sense of sweetness merely by looking at them.

"Wow..." Theor's amazement was evident as the toys and sweets continued to emerge from the boxes.

Astelle pondered the thoughtful gesture. It seemed unlike Kaizen, yet it was a meticulous act that served its purpose well, managing to uplift Theor's spirits unexpectedly. The young boy gazed at the toys with curiosity.

"Theor, remember to thank His Majesty," she encouraged him kindly.

"Yes," Theor nod.

Astelle, acknowledging the attendant's efforts, gently instructed, "Thank you for your assistance. Please convey our gratitude to His Majesty."

Once alone, Theor's gaze fixed on a light blue candy in the glass bottle, prompting a request to Astelle.

"Can I have this before dinner?" Theor's eyes gleamed with anticipation.