Chapter 71

Outside the banquet hall, darkness veiled the surroundings, offering a respite from the fervor within. The crisp air provided a moment of clarity, easing the anxious beats of Astelle's heart into a semblance of calm.

"Astelle!" Fritz called her.

"Brother, I'm alright," Astelle reassured him, though the truth lay in contradiction. Her heart persisted in its erratic rhythm despite her assurances.

Astelle, adept at masking her emotions behind a veneer of indifference, skillfully concealed her true feelings.

"Lady Astelle!" Hannah appeared, carrying Astelle's belongings, concern etched on her face. Having heard about the incident at the banquet hall, she approached Astelle with worry.

"Lady Astelle... are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Hannah," Astelle replied calmly, though her facade belied the turmoil within.

Fritz looked out from the entrance of the banquet hall. "I believe it's best we return to the mansion promptly."

Astelle nodded in agreement.

Staying any longer would inevitably invite unwanted attention from others. The banquet hall had already been witness to enough curious gazes.

Astelle chose to depart for the mansion alongside Fritz, seeking refuge from prying eyes. As soon as Astelle reached the mansion, she quickly headed straight to her bedroom. With a sigh, she removed her necklace, placing it delicately on the dressing table before settling into a chair.

The weariness accumulated throughout the day finally caught up with her. Everything had happened just as they expected. Even Kaizen was aware of the relationship between Astelle and Theor.

Florin and the Marchioness appeared to have their own covert agenda, a notion Astelle had vaguely surmised. Yet, it all fell within the scope of her expectations and meticulous preparations.

However, Kaizen's proposal shattered any semblance of anticipation. The notion of him proposing to her had been inconceivable, beyond the realm of her wildest dreams. Regardless of his intentions to safeguard her, the Emperor's public proposal to the once-divorced former empress struck Astelle as a move made by a misguided ruler.

"A proposal... there, in such a manner," she reflected, feeling a tinge of disbelief and vulnerability.

Not only did the proposal tarnish the Emperor's dignity, but it also risked eroding his authority. Astelle found herself astounded by the audacity of such an outrageous approach. By dawn, she anticipated the capital's nobility would buzz with discussions about the unprecedented event.

Deciding it was time to depart, having fulfilled the obligation to attend the ball, Astelle resolved to leave at daybreak. As she made plans to pack and depart swiftly, a discreet knock disrupted the room's silence.

"Lady Astelle."

Hannah quietly entered the room, gently pushing the door open a little bit. "I've readied a bath in the bathroom," she informed Astelle.

Astelle understood that it was necessary for her to remove her clothes and wash her face. However, getting up from her seat was quite a challenge, especially with the heaviness of her voluminous dress.

Hannah offered her support, steadying Astelle. "Lady Astelle, focus on resting. Let go of everything else for now."

Astelle took comfort in Hannah's calm and composed words, finding a brief moment of relief in the midst of all the chaos. With a sigh, she agreed and gave in to the situation.

"Alright. Overthinking won't alter anything at this point," Astelle conceded, recognizing the futility of dwelling further.

The objective had been accomplished—Theor had departed for the East under his grandfather's guidance. The identity of Theor's biological father remained concealed, at least for the present.