Chapter 38

Among the porcelain items on display were intricately embossed pieces, like porcelain adorned with flower patterns on a pristine white background and a light green vase showcasing a white bird.

Notably, the most splendid piece was a deep blue porcelain arranged on the central table, lavishly painted with gold flowers on a sapphire-like background. Even the leaves sprouting from the blooms were elegantly gilded. These ceramics hailed from a distant land beyond the mountains, a luxurious taste cherished by Kaizen's grandfather, Emperor Gilbert.

Astelle admired the intricate designs adorning the pottery. "It's truly magnificent."

Kaizen, however, didn't share the same enthusiasm. "It's a frivolous luxury."

"These things are abundant in the imperial palace in the capital," he continued. "I had intended to sell it all, but the servants simply left it behind."

Kaizen, known for his practicality, never quite appreciated such lavishness. The imperial palace itself housed a trove of treasures collected by his grandfather, Emperor Gilbert, within its splendid and stylish structures. However, with no one paying attention, these precious items would only gather dust and be forgotten.

"Theor, don't touch it," Astelle warned after she saw Theor eyeing the luxurious pottery. As soon as Astelle stopped him, Theor withdrew his hand. Curiously, he asked about the blue bowl, wanting to understand its purpose.

"What is this bowl for?"

"It's simply for decoration. You can display it beautifully and show it to people. But it's delicate, so be careful not to touch it randomly," Astelle explained to Theor.

The trio left the pavilion and continued exploring the garden. Eventually, they found themselves near the main palace.

"Can we go see what's over there?" Theor pointed to a small byway adjacent to the main road, near the main palace.

"Sure. Let's go," Astelle agreed, leading the way.

Astelle ventured forward without much expectation, yet she stumbled upon a sight too beautiful to ignore-a vibrant flower garden. An array of flowers adorned multiple flower beds, their varieties too numerous for her to name.

"Wow..." Theor couldn't contain his amazement, his eyes fixed on the colorful flower beds. Blin, the hound, strolled around the blossoms, eagerly sniffing their fragrant scents. Astelle chuckled at their fascination-it was undeniably endearing.

"When we're home, I'll create a flower bed like this in our garden. Let's even add a shallow pond to catch fish."

"Really?" Theor's eyes sparkled.

"Yes, I promise."

'Once Grandpa's pension arrives, I can save up and make it happen.' Astelle envisioned refurbishing their ruined mansion and crafting a beautiful garden where Theor and Blin could enjoy.

To achieve that dream, she needed to send Theor and Grandpa back home first. Kaizen interjected curiously, "Wasn't there a flower bed in your house?"

"We had a garden, but no flower bed. I didn't have the time or resources for it," Astelle explained. Gardening required time, dedication, and money, luxuries she lacked while raising Theor.

Kaizen remained silent, appearing somewhat displeased. Astelle considered her plan to seek the emperor's permission at the ball. Perhaps a public setting might compel Kaizen to listen to her requests.

As Astelle wandered the flower bed, she contemplated the comfortable life awaiting her with her grandfather's monthly pension. While lost in these thoughts, she realized Theor was missing.