Chapter 32

Astelle observed her grandfather's concerned expression and proceeded to explain the situation. The Marquis appeared surprised at her words.

"Were you sick?"

Theor quickly chimed in, "Aunt Astelle doesn't hurt anymore, Grandpa."

"No need to worry. It healed quickly in the early stages, and everything is fine now," Astelle reassured, recounting her experiences at the hunting lodge and her subsequent recovery.

Listening to Astelle's story, the Marquis grasped her hand with a sorrowful look. "That must have been tough in an unfamiliar place with the little one."

Astelle smiled warmly at the familiar affection. Theor, nestled in his grandfather's arms, lifted his head excitedly.

"Grandpa, I have a puppy!"

"A puppy? Where did you get it from?"

"It's a gift from His Majesty."

The Marquis turned his dismayed glance toward Astelle, seeking clarification. Astelle swiftly explained the situation.

"Theor went to the hunting lodge, and His Majesty gifted him a puppy."

Astelle offered a brief explanation, realizing there wasn't enough time to delve into the intricate details of the hunting lodge's backstory, especially not in front of Theor. Her grandfather seemed to grasp the essence of her message and patted Theor on the head once more.

"If it's from that villa, it must be a hunting dog. Our Theor is too young to learn hunting."

"I dislike hunting, the bear is dead," Theor piped up, prompting a small smile from Astelle as she glanced between the two.

Meeting her grandfather brought a sense of relief, a release of tension that had weighed heavily on her. Although things weren't entirely secure yet, arriving here felt like a significant step forward.

"I've heard about the former empress' wishes and how that man cares for you two," the Marquis stated, regarding Theor with a slightly complicated expression.

Kaizen's grandmother, the former empress dowager, had lost her parents early in life and was brought to the imperial palace, eventually becoming an empress. She was the heiress of the extensive southern manor, an arrangement meant to bind the southern estates legally to the imperial family.

Emperor Gilbert, Kaizen's grandfather, confined the young empress within the imperial palace to prevent her from reclaiming her estate in the future. This restriction prevented her from gaining proper knowledge of her world status, as she had been sheltered throughout her life. Astelle frequently visited and assisted the naive empress in managing the imperial palace, earning her deep affection.

"She really loved Astelle, who helped her with the imperial palace work instead of her deceased daughter-in-law," Astelle reminisced, recalling the emotional parting when she left despite her ousted position.

"But it's all over now. I'll spend a few days here and then ask His Majesty for permission to send grandfather and Theor back home first," Astelle explained to her maternal grandfather, seeking his approval.

"Yes, that way, you won't have to worry," he agreed.

However, Astelle understood she needed Kaizen's permission to facilitate Theor's return. She acknowledged the necessity of calming Kaizen and planning to ask for Theor's return when the opportunity arose. Despite being an adversary, Kaizen had shown kindness to Theor and tried to help Astelle.

"Everything will be fine," Astelle assured herself, finding solace in Kaizen's benevolence towards Theor. Even her maternal grandfather, who had been silently listening, nodded in agreement.