Chapter 18

Since her departure, a gentle drizzle had started to moisten the blades of grass, but within a matter of minutes, it had transformed into a deluge, pouring down like a waterfall.

Astelle galloped through the relentless downpour on a horse borrowed from the castle. Rainwater fell ceaselessly, obscuring her vision entirely. The muddy road beneath her horse's hooves turned into a quagmire, trailing muddy water in its wake.

She followed a narrow byway flanked by dark forests on both sides. The cool shade gave rise to mist in the midst of the cold rain.

"Lady Astelle? Isn't this rain too heavy?" Vellian, who followed closely behind her, shouted. Astelle paid no heed to his words. It was as if the sound of the rain had rendered her deaf, her determination propelling her forward.

She had been riding for what felt like an eternity, yet there was no sign of any building, let alone the villa she sought. The muddy road clung to her boots like a quagmire. No matter how fast she urged her horse, there was a limit to how much speed she could gain in this torrential downpour.

Visibility was severely compromised due to the ceaseless rain, making it impossible to see what lay ahead. How much longer would she have to endure this relentless ride?

Her entire body was soaked, drenched as if submerged in water. Astelle urged her horse onward, her focus unwavering.

The dark blue sky had turned pitch black under the constant downpour. Slowly but steadily, darkness descended upon the rain-soaked birch trees. Astelle's gaze remained fixed on the sky above as she rode through the cold rain, her thoughts consumed by her mission.

A harsh reality, colder than the raindrops pelting her, struck Astelle's mind.

'Time has passed.'

A heavy sigh escaped her lips, and she realized that, with the passage of time, the medicinal effect would have worn off. By now, Theor's eyes would likely have returned to their original color.

Astelle's thoughts weighed on her, and she came to an abrupt stop on the road. Vellian, who had surged ahead, turned his horse and rode back to her side.

"Lady Astelle? What's wrong?" Vellian asked, a note of concern in his voice.

Astelle struggled to regain her composure. "I... I just felt a bit lightheaded for a moment."

"Are you alright? Perhaps you should rest under that tree," Vellian suggested, pointing to a nearby leafy tree. However, Astelle declined.

"No, it's better to continue to the hunting lodge and rest."

They continued for a few more minutes along the by-way, and a small mansion situated in the center of the forest came into view.

Passing through a door surrounded by a high stone wall, the two entered the mansion's premises. The knights guarding the door looked surprised but allowed them entry.

Astelle dismounted her horse, her entire body drenched as if she had been submerged in water. With each step, water dripped from her soaked clothing. A quick-thinking attendant promptly provided towels for both of them.

Astelle vigorously wiped away the water, trying to collect her scattered thoughts, and then followed Vellian into the mansion.

As she moved forward, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was walking toward an execution site. In some ways, she even wished she could turn back time by just thirty minutes-thirty minutes that could make all the difference.

Astelle followed Vellian into a room that resembled a den.

The room exuded a cozy warmth, thanks to the flames crackling in the fireplace. Kaizen, seated in an armchair and engrossed in a book, glanced up as Vellian and Astelle entered.