Chapter 44

"Apologies, I should've asked beforehand," Florin expressed her regret.

Astelle reassured her, "It's alright, don't worry about it."

However, Astelle wasn't merely avoiding the fruit due to dislike. Consuming Lintail caused her to develop a fever, a fact she kept to herself. A past incident where she fell seriously ill after unknowingly eating it still lingered in her memory.

As Hannah approached Astelle with a teapot, she accidentally dropped it, causing her to cry out in pain. Vellian, seated beside Astelle, swiftly set down his teacup, his concern evident in his immediate reaction.

The tea spilled swiftly across the table, cascading down its surface as the porcelain teapot shattered upon hitting the floor, splashing hot liquid in all directions.

"Apologies, Count. I'm sorry," Hannah pleaded as she knelt down, seeking forgiveness for her mistake.

Astelle, rising from her seat, added, "I apologize as well, Count. How could my maid make such a mistake..."

Thankfully, Vellian had escaped serious harm, only getting his clothes soaked. Astelle avoided hot tea, always preferring it a bit lukewarm.

Accepting Astelle's apology, Vellian retrieved his handkerchief and began to dab at his dampened clothes. "It's alright," he said, though his eyes held a hint of suspicion when he glanced at Astelle, who deliberately avoided meeting his gaze.

"I'll need to return to the main palace and change. Excuse me for a moment," Vellian excused himself and left the room.

Meanwhile, Hannah diligently cleaned up the shattered teapot and wiped the spilled tea from the chair and floor. Outside, the sun continued to shine warmly.

Astelle suggested taking advantage of the pleasant weather. "It's such a beautiful day. Shall we step out for a while until Sir Vellian returns? There's an exhibition room nearby in the garden. If it's alright, I'd love to visit."

The mention of the 'exhibition room' seemed to surprise the Marchioness, while Florin, in her innocence, readily agreed.

"That's a splendid idea. I noticed it when I arrived," Florin replied eagerly, glancing at Kaizen for approval.

Kaizen, sitting with an expressionless face, eventually agreed to visit the exhibition room. "Sure, fine."

To reach the exhibition room from the tea room, they had to traverse the garden path. In the afternoon, the garden basked in warm sunlight, showcasing a picturesque view. Among the vibrant flowers, the grass emitted a refreshing scent, accentuating the beauty of the surroundings.

"The place is absolutely lovely. I didn't even know this existed," Astelle remarked as she stepped out onto the terrace adjacent to the pavilion. The small yet charming terrace boasted white marble columns supporting its roof, with a staircase leading down to the garden.

Florin soon joined Astelle on the terrace.

"Lady Astelle, um... my mother wishes to extend her apologies for the previous incident," Florin blinked at Astelle.

The Marchioness, with a reluctant expression, rubbed her mouth and offered an apology, "Well, I was too excited at that time."

Despite the apology, the Marchioness couldn't conceal her lingering displeasure towards Astelle.

'She's a person who can't hide her feelings.' Perhaps, she wondered, did the Marchioness believe there was nothing to hide?

Astelle responded with a subtle nod, as if acknowledging the unspoken sentiments. "Fine. It's about your daughter, so you can get excited and lose your mind sometimes."